Fall of Cong old guard: Patel’s men ignored for tickets

The Congress candidate from Bilaspur is Vani Rao now.

Written by Express News Service | Raipur | Published: October 29, 2013 12:15 am

The Congress,in no time,has ignored the legacy of its former state chief Nand Kumar Patel,who was killed in the Darbha attack in May. Several of his protégés whom he nurtured in the past two years and brought them to the centrestage,have been sidelined by the changed power centres in the party.

Several of them were prominent ticket contenders and Patel is reported to have forwarded their names to the party high command earlier,but they have now been denied a place in the latest formulation and their stature has been downsized.

Prominent among them is Vivek Vajpeyi,who was accompanying Patel in the convoy when the Maoist attack took place,and was a strong probable from Bilaspur. Although he had been making poll preparations for long Vajpeyi’s name was rejected. The Congress candidate from Bilaspur is Vani Rao now.

The fate of Congress media department chairperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi,who was considered Patel’s right hand,is still hanging fire. Though the candidature from his seat,Baloda Bazar,is yet to be announced,he is likely to be superseded by the preferred candidate of Leader of Opposition Ravindra Chaubey.

Some other members of Patel’s core team who were refused tickets include Human Sahu,Anjay Shukla,Shiv Singh and Chauleshwar Chandrakar.

Fortunately for the Congress,unlike other probables who expressed loud dissent after ticket denial,Patel’s men have not come out in public. “We are bound by discipline,but we are silently watching his legacy being forgotten,” said a leader.

A rival leader,however,said,“It’s only natural that when a new leader comes,he replaces the earlier team.”

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App