US special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan James Dobbins said on Thursday that any improvement of ties between New Delhi and Islamabad will automatically improve the situation in Afghanistan.
Dobbinss remarks have created some disquiet in New Delhi as he has once again linked India and Pakistan to the problems of Afghanistan. By hyphenating India and Pakistan to the situation in Afghanistan,the US special envoy has again shown the divide within the US administration,since Secretary of State John Kerry had appreciated Indias bilateral assistance programmes with Afghanistan.
Dobbins,who arrived here to brief the Indian government on the proposed talks with Taliban,said,Any improvement in Indo-Pak ties will almost automatically improve the Afghanistan situation.
He added that he had gathered an impression during his two meetings with Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that improvement in relationship with India is very high on his (Sharifs) priority list.
Earlier this week,Kerry had – after meeting External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid – said,Both of our countries support a stable,democratic,united,sovereign and prosperous Afghanistan. We are grateful for Indias investment in Afghanistan and support and help. We support Indias bilateral economic assistance programmes with Afghanistan with its private sector investment and its leadership in promoting regional economic integration.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
Dobbins comments reflect the thinking of the Barack Obama administration of 2008,when the US was planning to include India as the US special envoy Richard Holbrookes remit. This was vigorously opposed by Delhi,and US had then changed its mind.
The US special envoy,who met Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai and Special envoy on Afghanistan-Pakistan S K Lambah,also said that there is no prospect of any agreement with Taliban unless they decide on severing ties with all terror groups,including al-Qaeda.
During the dialogue,Kerry had assured India that its concerns over Taliban insurgents gaining legitimacy without severing their terror links will not be overlooked or undermined during any talks with the Islamic fundamentalist group.
Maintaining that India has an important influence in Afghanistan,Dobbins said,it is important that India understand our views and we understand Indias views.