It is supposed to be the divine rock that stood in the way of the flood and the Kedarnath shrine,splitting the torrent as it came down the hillside,and diverting it away from the temple.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has now decided to let the hulking boulder stay where it got wedged in the ground after tumbling down the mountain during the flash flood of June 16 just behind the temple.
There is also the political impulse: the Congress is keen to not allow the BJP to harness growing popular belief in the flood-ravaged state that the rock acted as the saviour of the temple.
We will write to the GSI (Geological Survey of India) and ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) to allow this divya shila (divine rock) to remain at the same spot at the rear of the Kedarnath temple, Bahuguna said on Friday.
After a meeting with the Kedarnath Badrinath Temple Committee on Friday,Bahuguna announced the resumption of puja at the Kedarnath temple on September 11.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
At the request of the sant samaj,the government has agreed to resume puja at Kedarnath temple on September 11, the chief minister told reporters. He said he was likely to meet the committee again on August 25 or 26.
The rush to begin the puja indicates heightened politics around the shrine. The BJP has constituted a relief and rehabilitation team comprising Uma Bharti,Shahnawaz Hussain and former chief minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
Clean-up operations in the Kedar valley,which is seeing heavy rain,remains a difficult and dangerous task. Three people have died in the last 10 days,including an SDM-rank official who was swept away after a bridge near the temple collapsed.