It is supposed to be the divine rock that stood in the way of the flood and the Kedarnath shrine,splitting the torrent as it came down the hillside,and diverting it away from the temple.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has now decided to let the hulking boulder stay where it got wedged in the ground after tumbling down the mountain during the flash flood of June 16 just behind the temple.
There is also the political impulse: the Congress is keen to not allow the BJP to harness growing popular belief in the flood-ravaged state that the rock acted as the saviour of the temple.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
We will write to the GSI (Geological Survey of India) and ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) to allow this divya shila (divine rock) to remain at the same spot at the rear of the Kedarnath temple, Bahuguna said on Friday.
After a meeting with the Kedarnath Badrinath Temple Committee on Friday,Bahuguna announced the resumption of puja at the Kedarnath temple on September 11.
At the request of the sant samaj,the government has agreed to resume puja at Kedarnath temple on September 11, the chief minister told reporters. He said he was likely to meet the committee again on August 25 or 26.
The rush to begin the puja indicates heightened politics around the shrine. The BJP has constituted a relief and rehabilitation team comprising Uma Bharti,Shahnawaz Hussain and former chief minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
Clean-up operations in the Kedar valley,which is seeing heavy rain,remains a difficult and dangerous task. Three people have died in the last 10 days,including an SDM-rank official who was swept away after a bridge near the temple collapsed.