Follow Us:
Thursday, April 19, 2018

Delhi gangrape victim’s friend wants a govt job,damages

The male friend of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim has written to the home ministry asking for a government job and compensation

Written by Rahul Tripathi | New Delhi | Published: April 23, 2013 2:22:07 am

The male friend of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim has written to the home ministry asking for a government job and compensation. The friend,who was assaulted by the rapists and thrown out of the bus along with the victim,has described himself as the “prime witness” in the case,and sought adequate security when he deposes in court.

The friend has attached a two-page CV describing his qualifications and work experience along with his one-and-a-half-page letter to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde,sources in the ministry said.

The woman,whose brutalisation on December 16,2012 triggered unprecedented popular protests in Delhi,died of her horrific injuries in a Singapore hospital 13 days later.

In his letter,accessed by The Indian Express,the 28-year-old software professional has claimed to have already spent Rs 18-20 lakh on treatment,besides suffering great mental agony. He has mentioned financial difficulties in meeting expenses related to the ongoing trial in a fast-track court.

Home ministry sources said the friend’s letter had been sent to the Delhi government. “We have asked the Delhi government to look into the request… but so far no decision has been taken. He is the key witness… on whom the outcome of the case depends. His testimony till the end of the trial is very crucial,” a senior ministry official said.

The government last month allotted a DDA MIG flat to the family of the gangrape victim and a government job to one of her brothers. Based on the recommendations of the Justice J S Verma panel set up after the incident,Parliament passed a stringent anti-rape law in March.

UP yet to fulfil promise to victim’s friend

LUCKNOW: The Delhi gangrape victim’s friend is still waiting for the UP government to fulfil its promise of providing aid to him.

On December 19,UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had announced that all expenses incurred on the treatment of the rape victim and her friend would be borne by his government. He had also promised to give both of them state government jobs. But four months after the incident,nothing has materialised. His medical treatment has already cost the family Rs 12 lakh and he has not yet recovered fully.

Currently,the victim stays with his parents in Gorakhpur and is on leave from his employer,HCL,where he works as a software engineer. His father,Bhanu Pratap Pandey,said he has already written several letters reminding the Chief Minister: “I dispatched more than 10 letters through registered post to him. I enclosed all bills and media reports about his announcement,but there has been no response,” Pandey said. ENS

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts