After celebrating a colourful Holi and Durga Puja this year,Vrindavan widows have another reason to cheer. In a break from tradition,at least a thousand widows from Vrindavan are going to celebrate Diwali this year.
Courtesy the NGO Sulabh International,Diwali celebrations will take place at century-old widow shelter Meera Sahabhagni Ashram in Vrindavan between October 31 and November 3.
Thousands of earthen pots have been arranged and are being painted by widows themselves for celebrations. The aged women were abandoned by their families or had fled their homes,eventually landing at Vrindavan.
Last year,the Supreme Court had asked the National Legal Services Authority to enquire whether the NGO is willing to take care of the destitute women living in different government run homes in Vrindavan,after which Sulabh movement founder Dr Bindeshwar Pathak took the task of ensuring food,clothing,health and hygiene for the widows.
He also intends to draft a bill and hand it over to Parliament to improve the plight of widows.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked