• Associate Sponsor

Court rejects CBI closure report in Vincent George assets case

The CBI has claimed that no evidence was found to substantiate the charges

Written by Rahul Tripathi | New Delhi | Published: July 24, 2013 3:02 am

Rejecting the CBI’s decision to close the disproportionate assets case against Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s former personal secretary Vincent George,a special CBI court last week issued notice to him to appear before the court. George remains Sonia’s close aide.

Taking cognizance of the CBI’s closure report,the court also sought details from the agency on filing of the report. The CBI has claimed that no evidence was found to substantiate the charges against George as there was no response from the US to its letters rogatory.

George will now have to appear before the court to explain details given in the CBI’s closure report,which mentions his bank accounts,gifts and donations received by him.

The CBI had registered the case against George in 2001,charging him with amassing assets beyond his known sources of income.

According to the CBI,the assets of George and his family showed a quantum increase after 1990. His properties included houses and shops in South Delhi,a house in Bangalore,a plot in Chennai,land in Kerala and farmland on Delhi’s outskirts. He was found to have over Rs 1.5 crore in his bank accounts.

The CBI said the purchase of assets was facilitated by huge “cash gifts” from abroad,which George claimed were from his family members. In 2002,letters rogatory were sent to the US. A top CBI official said there was no response from the US.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.