• Associate Sponsor

Court calls operators for no to number portability requests

The regulator said after it introduced the concept of portability in 2011 it had obtained data from on all service providers to check if they were complying with its regulations

Written by Jayant Sriram | New Delhi | Published: March 22, 2012 1:37 am

A Delhi court on Wednesday issued summons to the top executives of three major telecom companies — Bharti Airtel,Idea Cellular and Loop Mobiles — for allegedly rejecting number portability requests from their customers. The court was acting on a complaint filed by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) which said the companies failed to respond to showcause notices issued to them for the violation of its regulations regarding number portability.

The regulator said after it introduced the concept of portability in 2011 it had obtained data from on all service providers to check if they were complying with its regulations. In the case of the accused companies,TRAI said the data showed that several porting requests had been rejected on illegal grounds without supporting documentation.

The court said it found enough grounds for summoning the executives of the accused companies on May 25. “In my considered opinion,there is enough material on record to proceed against the accused persons… Let accused persons be summoned,” the judge said.

Those directed to appear before the court include Airtel’s CEO Sanjay Kapoor,Idea’s Managing Director Himanshu Kapania and Loop Mobiles Managing Director Sandip Basu and Chief Regulatory Officer Harish Kapoor.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.