Complaint abuse of law: Yahoo

India told a city court on Tuesday that it should be removed as a party to a lawsuit against websites.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published:February 22, 2012 12:31 am

Explaining that it was not a social networking site and calling the complaint against it “a complete abuse of the process of law”,Yahoo! India told a city court on Tuesday that it should be removed as a party to a lawsuit against websites.

The complaint was lodged against 22 social networking websites by a citizen,Mufty Aijaz Qasmi,to remove allegedly objectionable material from them. Yahoo contended that it could not be clubbed with the other websites. “The Defendant No. 5 (Yahoo) is primarily a content portal offering e-mail and messenger communication services but not offering features generally associated with ‘social networking websites’,” said a written statement submitted on behalf of Yahoo.

“The present proceedings are somewhat akin to a public interest litigation (PIL),wherein the plaintiff has sought certain reliefs,which do not directly concern the plaintiff and without there being any actual existing interest in the subject matter,” Yahoo submitted before the court of ACJ Praveen Singh.

The website said the complainant had not submitted any evidence to prove that it hosted any offensive material.

Yahoo said it had been condemned to a long-drawn-out case due to the plaintiff’s mistake of bunching it with other social networking websites,and that this would make it liable for offences allegedly committed by others. “The Defendant No. 5 is being forced to go through a long and expensive trial… without there being any allegation or claim against it only because arrayed with the Defendant No. 5 are other against whom the plaint may disclose a cause of action.”

Kolkata rape case: 2 cops taken off duty

In another development in the Park Street rape case,two police officers who allegedly misbehaved with the victim when she went to the police station to lodge a complaint were on Tuesday removed from duty.

The action was taken on the basis of a report by Joint CP (traffic) Supratim Sarkar who had been asked by Commissioner of Police R K Pachnanda to investigate the allegation of the victim against the two Sub-Inspectors,Saikat Neogi and Manish Singh.

Video of the day

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results