The death toll in twin shallow earthquakes in Chinas northwest Gansu province near Tibet rose to 95 Tuesday while rescue workers struggled to reach remote areas to reach victims buried under landslides.
Over 1,000 injured in the 6.6-magnitude earthquake jolted the juncture area of Minxian and Zhangxian counties in the city of Dingxi Monday,official media here reported Tuesday.
One person remained missing,the Gansu provincial earthquake emergency response centre said. Fourteen people who went missing in the earthquakes have been confirmed dead,bringing the death toll to 95,local authorities said Tuesday.
The disaster has left leaving 95 dead and 1,001 injured,said Zhang Kebing,deputy director of the provincial civil affairs department. According to initial reports about 51,800 houses were collapsed and 2.40 lakh houses severely damaged.
Local governments have relocated over 2.26 lakh people,state-run Xinhua reported.
Over 400 aftershocks rocked the area causing extensive damage. Reports in the official media said no casualties have been reported in schools so far from the earthquake as all the summer schools were closed for summer vacation. Thousands of relief workers were sent to clear the debris and rescue as many people as possible in the gold 42 hour period.
Two helicopters and about 3,000 armed police,firefighters,local militiamen and local government staff have been sent to the quake-hit region to help with rescue efforts. The Ministry of Civil Affairs has allotted 10,000 tents,30,000 quilts and 10,000 sleeping bags to the quake-hit region.
In addition to aftershocks,falling rocks were reported in the mountainous region,posing a threat to rescuers helping villagers.
North India Freezes, People Shiver As Cold Wave Continues
Muslims Should Gracefully Hand Over Babri Site – Swamy (special Interview) (part -3)
Muslims Should Gracefully Hand Over Babri Site – Swamy (special Interview) (part -2)
Muslims Should Gracefully Hand Over Babri Site – Swamy (special Interview) (part -1)