Chief went to CBI against Lt Gen but Army HQ said promote him: Antony

MoD not aware that Chief sent note to CBI: Defence Minister

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: March 30, 2012 1:30 am

A day after The Indian Express reported that Army Chief Gen. V K Singh has asked the CBI to probe allegations of corruption against Lt Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag,who is in line to become the Army Chief in the next few years,Defence Minister A K Antony revealed that Army headquarters had recommended the officer for a promotion only last week.

Antony said a file seeking his approval for promoting Lt Gen Suhag to Army Commander reached his office after Army HQ moved the proposal last Thursday. The minister said he was not aware that the Army Chief had written to the CBI.

As per procedure,complaints to an external investigation agency are routed through the defence ministry. “Sometime back,during one of the meetings,the Army Chief told me about the particular Lt Gen. Immediately I told him if there is any specific complaint he must take action,” Antony said at the defence expo in Delhi.

“Army headquarters sent a proposal to send him as Army Commander. I think the proposal is of March 22… The defence secretary cleared it and when I checked up today in my office,it is pending before me,” he said.

The CBI received a complaint from Gen. Singh along with a covering letter and a complaint from a TMC MP. The complaint relates to alleged corruption in the procurement of equipment for the Special Frontier Force (SFF). Lt Gen Suhag is currently Commander of the Dimapur based 3 Corps.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results