The move to induct Tehelka founder-editor Tarun Tejpal into the Prasar Bharati board may have been scuttled after he was accused of sexually assaulting a colleague but Doordarshan is in a spot over a 52-episode series it commissioned from a Tejpal firm.
The state broadcaster had decided to collaborate with the firm,Amaraman India Pvt. Ltd.,for the series to commemorate 100 years of Indian cinema and paid half the commissioned amount of Rs 2 crore as advance. But Amaraman missed the November 15 deadline for showing the rough cuts.
Tejpal has the largest stake in the company and its other promoters include his siblings Neena Tejpal and Minty Tejpal,Trinamool Congress leader K D Singh and Shoma Chaudhury,Tehelkas managing editor until Thursday.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
We have signed an agreement with Amaraman India Pvt. Ltd. of which Tarun Tejpal is one of the promoters for a 52-episode series on Indian cinema. We chose the company after its proposal was cleared by several committees, Doordarshan director-general Tripurari Sharan told The Indian Express.
The (Prasar Bharati) board is usually not a part of such decisions. We chose them because they had the relevant expertise and had done such work earlier.
Asked if DD would go ahead with the collaboration following the Tehelka controversy,he said: Dont force me to take a decision on that.
Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar too remained non-committal about the fate of the project.
I am not sure about every operational matter in this because DD is competent to take a call on these kinds of things. Only if there is a crisis or if there is a policy matter does DD get in touch with us, Sircar said.
Tejpal could not be reached on his cell phone and did not respond to text messages seeking his comment. Neena Tejpal and Chaudhury refused to comment.
The TV series was the state broadcasters third attempt in the last one year to
collaborate with Tejpal.
DD held extended talks with Tejpal over the last few months for a news-based breakfast show that was to be anchored by him,among others,and produced under his general supervision.
Sharan said negotiations over the morning show had ended long before the present controversy erupted because DD and Tejpal had failed to reach an agreement about payment modalities.
Sources,however,indicate the issue had merely been kept suspended,although in the present circumstances talks are unlikely to be revived.
In the initial phase of professionalisation of DD News last year,it is learnt that there were serious talks around December about Tejpal taking over Newsnight,the prime time show on DD News.
There were some meetings between Tejpal and senior officials until,as a former DD official put it,the system objected to him being brought in.
Although there was a powerful section in the information and broadcasting ministry that was keen on installing Tejpal at the helm of the news-based programme,his talk of a new team and plans to overhaul the working of the channel raised the hackles of some,sources said.
The matter was given a quiet burial and journalist Sanjeev Srivastava brought in as a more acceptable candidate to head Newsnight.