Baby dies as hospital warmer overheats

Meerut: Second such incident; infant sustained 60 per cent burns

Written by Amit Sharma | Meerut | Published: January 1, 2014 10:13 pm

A Seven-day-old baby died of burn injuries due to overheating of the radiant warmer in the paediatrics ward of the Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital and Medical College here.

Ishrat and Wasim,from Muzaffarnagar,had got their premature baby admitted to the hospital on December 28 on the reference of a nursing home at Shahpur tehsil where the baby was born. Doctors put the baby under the radiant warmer to help maintain body temperature. In the night,the doctors asked Wasim to take care of his baby as they moved to a nearby room for rest.

Around 1.30 am,Wasim saw smoke and called the doctors for help. But by the time the doctors turn off the overheated warmer,the baby had sustained 60 per cent burns. He was immediately shifted to the ICU where he died late Monday night.

College principal Pradeep Bharti said,“The incident seems to have occurred due to short-circuit.” He has formed a three-member committee to ascertain the cause of the death within three days.

Bharti also blamed the lack of funds. “Machines here are old but we maintain them regularly. We cannot have new machines for paucity of funds and there is also a shortage of doctors and nurses to look after a heavy rush of patients in the hospital,” he said.

This is the second such incident. On April 24,a newborn baby died under the warmer at the hospital.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results