Prime Minister Manmohan Singhs plan to hold a press conference early next month has created a buzz in the ruling Congress. At the partys manifesto release function ahead of general elections in 2009,Singh had taken everybody by surprise by launching a blistering attack on L K Advani for calling him a weak PM. Will Singh go for a re-do and try to counter the BJPs PM candidate in 2014? Grapevine is that he may. Also,Congressmen are expecting Singh to field questions on the possibility of his third term in office an issue on which the PM has been non-committal especially as his press conference is likely to be scheduled before the January 17 AICC session that is set to witness a clamour for the declaration of Rahul Gandhi as the partys PM candidate.
Looking to curb down on excessive spending by units on publications that may not necessarily have to do with training or operations,the Army has sent across instructions on the coffee table book culture. Noting that over the past few years,there has been a proliferation of such books,instructions have been sent that any future projects for coffee table books can now only be embarked upon after the approval of the Director General of Military Intelligence,a three star officer.
Steel Minister Beni Prasad Vermas drawing room wall,which already has photographs of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi,recently got an addition a picture of the minister with Nelson Mandela. As the world mourned the demise of the anti-apartheid icon early this month,Verma suddenly remembered that he had shared dais with the South African leader in 1997 when he was telecom minister in the United Front government. The then prime minister H D Deve Gowda had planned the release of a postage stamp for a south Indian poet and had asked Verma to expedite it to get Mandela to release it on his state visit to India. Verma has also got copies of the picture for his residence in Delhi,Lucknow and Barabanki now.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
NEW NSG CHIEF
Assam police chief J N Choudhury has been appointed head of the elite National Security Guard in place of Arvind Ranjan,who will take over as the full-time chief of Central Industrial Security Force. Choudhury was in the race for the much sought after post of special secretary (internal security) at MHA and sources said even after his appointment as NSG chief,he cannot be ruled out of the race. A 1978- batch IPS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre,Choudhury is due to retire in May 2015. He has also served in the Intelligence Bureau for a number of years before taking over as Assam police chief last year.