Rejecting the Commerce Ministrys proposal to raise FDI in defence from 26 per cent to 49 per cent,Defence Minister A K Antony has written a letter saying the move will be a retrograde step and stymie the growth of the domestic industry while increasing dependence on foreign manufacturers.
The letter addressed to Commerce Minister Anand Sharma says the FDI cap cannot be raised as the country cannot afford to be dependent on foreign companies and vulnerable to policies of their countries of origin in the field of defence on long-term basis.
Allowing foreign companies to set up manufacturing/ assembly facilities here would be a retrograde step as it will stymie the growth of indigenous design and development,and our dependence on foreign countries and OEMs for modern weapons will get perpetuated, he said in the letter.
Antony was responding to Sharmas letter to him last month in which he had proposed the raising of FDI limit in defence sector from 26 per cent to 49 per cent. The deliberated view of the Defence Ministry,therefore,remains that the FDI cap in the defence manufacturing sector should remain at 26 per cent, he has written.
At the same time,Antony has said whenever FDI beyond 26 per cent is likely to result in access to modern and state-of-the-art technology in the country,decisions can be taken to allow higher FDI on a case to case basis by the Cabinet Committee on Security.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
To justify his opposition to the hike in FDI cap in defence sector,Antony says,Building up our own indigenous capabilities for designing and developing weapon systems is vital.