Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014

Antony opposes proposal to hike FDI in defence to 49 per cent

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi | Posted: July 4, 2013 1:49 am

Rejecting the Commerce Ministry’s proposal to raise FDI in defence from 26 per cent to 49 per cent,Defence Minister A K Antony has written a letter saying the move will be a “retrograde” step and “stymie” the growth of the domestic industry while increasing dependence on foreign manufacturers.

The letter addressed to Commerce Minister Anand Sharma says the FDI cap cannot be raised as the country “cannot afford to be dependent on foreign companies and vulnerable to policies of their countries of origin” in the field of defence on long-term basis.

“Allowing foreign companies to set up manufacturing/ assembly facilities here would be a retrograde step as it will stymie the growth of indigenous design and development,and our dependence on foreign countries and OEMs for modern weapons will get perpetuated,” he said in the letter.

Antony was responding to Sharma’s letter to him last month in which he had proposed the raising of FDI limit in defence sector from 26 per cent to 49 per cent. “The deliberated view of the Defence Ministry,therefore,remains that the FDI cap in the defence manufacturing sector should remain at 26 per cent,” he has written.

At the same time,Antony has said whenever FDI beyond 26 per cent is likely to result in access to modern and state-of-the-art technology in the country,“decisions can be taken to allow higher FDI on a case to case basis by the Cabinet Committee on Security.”

To justify his opposition to the hike in FDI cap in defence sector,Antony says,“Building up our own indigenous capabilities for designing and developing weapon systems is vital.”

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 990 other followers