Dozens of civilians were killed in cold blood in the Syrian city of Homs,opposition activists and Syrian state media said on Monday,although they disputed responsibility for what both sides called a massacre.
The carnage in Homs,as well as a military assault on the northwestern city of Idlib,coincided with a weekend peace mission by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan,who left Damascus on Sunday without agreement on a truce or humanitarian access.
The terrorist armed groups have kidnapped scores of civilians in the city of Homs,central Syria,killed,and mutilated their corpses and filmed them to be shown by media outlets,state news agency SANA said on its website.
Footage posted by opposition activists on YouTube showed men,women and children lying dead in a blood-drenched room.
The Local Coordination Committees of Syria,a grassroots opposition network,said at least 45 women and children had been stabbed and burned in the Homs district of Karm al-Zeitoun.
It said another seven people were slain in the citys Jobar district,which adjoins the former rebel bastion of Baba Amr.
Activists contacted in Homs accused Alawite shabbiha militia loyal to President Bashar al-Assad of carrying out the killings under the protection of regular Syrian military forces.
Waleed Fares,an activist in Homss Khalidiyah district said that 30 to 40 tanks had arrived in Karm al-Zeitoun on Sunday night. We know now that four families have been killed by shabbiha. We have 21 names and we are trying to confirm the names of the rest, he told Reuters via Skype. Its quiet now but I have been hearing gunfire all night.
Fares said most of the killings occurred in Karm al-Zeitoun. The Free Syrian army helped move the bodies to one place. Otherwise the regime forces would have hidden the evidence,he said.