40 bodies dumped on Mexico highway

Suspected drug gang killers dumped the mutilated bodies of more than 40 people on a highway near the northern city of Monterrey in one of the worst atrocities to hit Mexico in recent years

Written by Reuters | Cadereyta Jimenez | Published:May 14, 2012 12:59 am

Suspected drug gang killers dumped the mutilated bodies of more than 40 people on a highway near the northern city of Monterrey in one of the worst atrocities to hit Mexico in recent years.

The mutilated corpses were found stuffed into bags in the early hours of Sunday on a highway in the municipality of Cadereyta Jimenez,officials from the state of Nuevo Leon said.

There were more than 40 victims,an official for the state government said,speaking on condition of anonymity. A state police official said the death toll may have been as high as 49.

It was not immediately clear who the victims were. A forensic investigator at the scene said some of the bodies showed signs of decay,indicating that they may have been dead for days.

It was the latest in a string of mass slayings that have convulsed Mexico over the past few months,many of them concentrated in the north of the country,where the brutal Zetas drug gang has waged a bloody war for control of smuggling routes.

President Felipe Calderon staked his reputation on bringing Mexico’s drug gangs to heel,sending in the army to fight them shortly after taking office in December 2006. Since then,however,the violence has spiraled,and more than 50,000 people have fallen victim to the conflict.

The Nuevo Leon government official said the killings appeared to be the work of drug cartels and that a message of the kind often favoured by the gangs had been left at the scene.

Drawing hints at Iran n-work in Parchin
VIENNA:
An image said to come from inside an Iranian military site shows an explosives containment chamber of the type needed for nuclear arms-related tests that UN inspectors suspect Tehran has conducted at the site.

Iran denies such testing.

The image was provided to The Associated Press by an official of a country tracking Iran’s nuclear programme who said the drawing proves the structure exists. The official,who requested anonymity,said the drawing was based on information from a person who had seen the chamber at the Parchin site. His country,a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency,is critical of Iran’s nuclear programme. Former IAEA official Olli Heinonen said he believes the drawing is accurate.

AP

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.