18 months,many inputs later,Iran says no info on Israeli diplomat ‘attackers’

The communication comes after a year-and-a-half of several meetings.

Written by Shubhajit Roy | New Delhi | Published: October 6, 2013 2:00 am

In a move that has upset India,Iran has informed New Delhi that it does not have any records of the Iranians suspected to have carried out the bomb attack on an Israeli diplomat in the Indian capital and has asked for more details to follow up the request.

The communication is the first response from Tehran and comes after a year-and-a-half of several meetings and notes verbales from India.

In a two-line diplomatic communication sent in the last week of August,the Iranian foreign ministry has said that there are “no records of the Delhi bomb blast with the officials of Iran’s judiciary” and asked India to send more information.

An exasperated New Delhi sees this as a stalling tactic adopted by Tehran since India has shared “very specific” details of the six people — five men and one woman — who are wanted by Indian investigating agencies for the February 2012 attack.

The Israeli diplomat,who was the wife of the defence attache at the embassy,and three others were badly wounded in the attack. Indian journalist S M A Kazmi,who has been named as a co-accused in the attack and was sent to jail,is out on bail.

The Sunday Express has accessed key information New Delhi has shared with Tehran about the Iranian suspects:

* Houshang Afshar Irani: Passport no: I-17287444,issued on 9.1.2010; Date of birth: 23.9.1972; Mobile no. (Iran): 9128808084; Profession: Building construction; Employer address: Afshar Irani company,No. 77,Shahid Babaei Street,Tehran;

Role: Executed the attack. India has put 44 questions for him.

* Seyed Ali Mahdiansadr: Passport no: J-14922614,issued on 25.12.2008; Date of Birth: 23.7.61; Father’s name: Seyed Ebrahim; Profession: shopkeeper,mobile-seller; Address: Mahdian shop,No.52,Passajala,Marvi Street,Naser Khosrow Street,Tehran; Mobile no. (Iran): 9123020373; Role: Planning,did recce outside Israeli embassy. India has out 30 questions for him.

* Mohammad Reza Abolghasemi: Passport no: F-14772374,issued on 2.12.2008; Date of Birth: 21.3.1965; Father’s name: Mohammad Javad; Profession: Finance clerk,Water authority; Address: No.23,Mahmoudi Alley,Ghitarich Street,Tehran; Role: Planning,surveyed the spot. India has put 30 questions.

* Sedaghatzade Masoud: Passport no: M-20305701,issued on 8.1.2011; Date of birth: 12.2.1981; Father’s name: Abbas; Address: no.2,Mahmoodiyan Alley,Gheitariyenblv,Tehran; Mobile no: (Iran): 9123944144,Tel. No. 021-3944144; Profession: Sales employee in a commercial company; Employer’s address: Pishgaman company,no.2,Aalaei,Street Hedayat,Street Baharestan,Tehran; Role: Part of the plot,was in touch with Houshang and was detained in Malaysia after the Bangkok attack. He applied for Indian visa,but didn’t get it. India has put 7 questions.

# Ali Akbar Norouzishayan: Passport no. A-21429735,issued on 27.6.2011; Date of birth: 27.12.1954; Mother’s name: Hazhikanoom Roshanmanesh; Spouse: Fatemeh Noori; Address: No.16,4 All Golha square,Tehransar street,Tehran; Tel. no. 021-44505272,Mobile no. 9125444652; Profession: Retired accountant; Employer’s address: Moalem Street,Shariyati street,Tehran; Role: Part of the plot,was spotted in Bangkok during the attack,he applied for Indian visa but didn’t get it. India has put 21 questions.

*Leila Rohani: Passport no: M-20305600,issued on 8.1.2011; Date of birth: 18.7.1980; Father’s name: Hossein; Address: Tehran; Role: Instrumental in transferring money to accused Indian journalist Kazmi. India has put 7 questions.

These details are in a 52-page letter rogatory (LR) and was first handed over by a Delhi Police team that visited Tehran in August last year. The details were taken from visa forms filled by the suspects to visit India as tourists.

Sources said that while Indian officials handed over the LR to Iranian authorities,New Delhi found them making flimsy excuses — that they have not received a questionnaire,have not got any red corner notice and that they need the LR to be translated to Persian.

They also asked the Indian officials to send the LR through diplomatic channels and this was done in September last year.

The CBI sent two requests to the Iranian authorities — on December 6,2012 and again on February 15,2013. The Indian embassy in Tehran pursued it with Iranian authorities on February 17,2013 and again on March 20,2013.

While India did not expect much during the time Iran was in election mode until around mid-June,it was hoped that the new moderate regime of President Hassan Rouhani would ensure a thorough probe.

But the first communication from Tehran has left New Delhi very disappointed and also surprised at the new regime’s response.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results