As violence continues to rock parts of Assam in support of demands for separate states,Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today ruled out further division of his state saying people there want to live like a joint family.
Gogoi also warned those indulging in violence saying action would be taken them.
“No government wants to divide any state. In Assam,we want to live like a joint family,” he said at a press conference when asked his government’s stand on the fresh agitation and incidents of violence in Assam demanding separate states.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Demanding separate state of Karbi Anglong and Bodoland,several organisations have stepped up their agitation leading to bandh,arson,removal of train tracks besides blocking of highways and railway tracks connecting the Northeastern region.
The Chief Minister said if anyone has any grievance,Assam and the central governments were ready to talk to them to resolve their problems.
“But no one has any right to indulge in violence or take law into their hands. Else,we will have to take action against them,” he said.
Admitting that the decision to create Telangana has given a fresh lease of life to the separate state demands in Assam,Gogoi refused to say whether it was a right or wrong decision but said he had forewarned the Centre about the situation which would arise if Telangana was created.
Gogoi said “I had told the central government long ago that if Telangana is created,there would be problems in states like Assam. But the central government took the decision considering different circumstance and different context. In any case,the situation in Telangana is different from that of Assam”.
The Chief Minister claimed certain vested interest groups were instigating violence in some parts of the state in the name of agitation for a separate state.
Asked about disruption of normal road and rail traffic to the Northeaster region due to the Bodoland agitation,Gogoi said the disruption was for a very limited period.
“We will not allow disruption of road and rail traffic for longer time. We will ensure that communication links are not disrupted at any cost,” he said.