As violence continues to rock parts of Assam in support of demands for separate states,Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today ruled out further division of his state saying people there want to live like a joint family.
Gogoi also warned those indulging in violence saying action would be taken them.
“No government wants to divide any state. In Assam,we want to live like a joint family,” he said at a press conference when asked his government’s stand on the fresh agitation and incidents of violence in Assam demanding separate states.
Demanding separate state of Karbi Anglong and Bodoland,several organisations have stepped up their agitation leading to bandh,arson,removal of train tracks besides blocking of highways and railway tracks connecting the Northeastern region.
The Chief Minister said if anyone has any grievance,Assam and the central governments were ready to talk to them to resolve their problems.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“But no one has any right to indulge in violence or take law into their hands. Else,we will have to take action against them,” he said.
Admitting that the decision to create Telangana has given a fresh lease of life to the separate state demands in Assam,Gogoi refused to say whether it was a right or wrong decision but said he had forewarned the Centre about the situation which would arise if Telangana was created.
Gogoi said “I had told the central government long ago that if Telangana is created,there would be problems in states like Assam. But the central government took the decision considering different circumstance and different context. In any case,the situation in Telangana is different from that of Assam”.
The Chief Minister claimed certain vested interest groups were instigating violence in some parts of the state in the name of agitation for a separate state.
Asked about disruption of normal road and rail traffic to the Northeaster region due to the Bodoland agitation,Gogoi said the disruption was for a very limited period.
“We will not allow disruption of road and rail traffic for longer time. We will ensure that communication links are not disrupted at any cost,” he said.