Sebastian Vettel continued his imperious march towards a fourth consecutive F1 world championship by storming to pole position at the Singapore Grand Prix on Saturday after dominating the two days of practice.
The Red Bull driver,who is 53 points ahead of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso with seven races remaining,clocked a fastest lap of one minute 42:841 seconds around the floodlit Marina Bay Street Circuit. The German will be joined on the front row by compatriot Nico Rosberg for Mercedes,who was just 0.091 seconds behind.
The second row for Formula One’s only night race will be occupied by Lotus’s Romain Grosjean and Vettel’s Australian team mate Mark Webber.
Lewis Hamilton will start in fifth place in second Mercedes while Alonso languished in seventh,outqualified by Brazilian team mate Felipe Massa. Vettel has looked unstoppable since the second practice session on Friday and although he set the quickest time ever around the demanding 23-turn circuit early in the final qualifying round,he had a nervous wait to be sure of pole after gambling that the time would suffice.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The pole position was the 41st of Vettel’s career and fifth of the season and with Alonso so far back on a circuit that is notoriously difficult for overtaking,only a tropical downpour or a series of safety car periods looks like preventing the German from extending his lead on Sunday.
Rosberg was disappointed not to have overhauled the triple world champion on his final flying lap but still delighted with his overall performance.
Like Red Bull and Mercedes,Lotus have a car that suits the rigours of high downforce tracks like Singapore and despite team mate Kimi Raikkonen nursing a bad back and managing only 13th on the grid,Grosjean drove brilliantly to qualify third.
The top 10 was completed by McLaren’s Jenson Button,Toro Rosso’s Daniel Ricciardo and Sauber’s Mexican rookie Esteban Gutierrez,who reached the third round of qualifying for the first time in his career.
Singapore GP,Marina Bay
1. Sebastian Vettel (GER)
2. Nico Rosberg (GER)
3. Romain Grosjean (FRA)