Sports bar: Hingis returns to doubles

Martina Hingis,fresh off her induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame,will end a nearly six-year retirement

Published: July 17, 2013 2:27 am

Hingis returns to doubles

Martina Hingis,fresh off her induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame,will end a nearly six-year retirement to play doubles at next week’s Southern California Open. Hingis,a winner of five grand slam singles ,nine grand slam doubles and one grand slam mixed doubles title will partner Daniela Hantuchova at the July 27-Aug. 4 tournament in Carlsbad,California. “My competitive spirit is still very much alive,” the Swiss former world number one said. Hingis,who won the Australian Open and Wimbledon at the age of 16,quit tennis in 2003 at the age of 22,suffering from ankle injuries. She returned in 2006 but quit for a second time in 2007 after testing positive and subsequently serving a two year ban for cocaine at that year’s Wimbledon.

Paire beats Montanes

Ninth-seeded Benoit Paire of France advanced to the third round of the German Tennis Championships on Tuesday by beating Albert Montanes of Spain 6-1,6-4. Gael Monfils beat 2010 Hamburg champion Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan 6-3,6-3 to make the second round of the clay-court tournament. Golubev had to qualify for this year’s event. Among other first-round winners were Federico Delbonis of Argentina,Robin Haase of Netherlands,Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia,Jan-Lennard Struff of Germany and three Spaniards _ Guillermo Garcia-Lopez,Albert Ramos and Marcel Granollers.

‘Don’t want Europa League win’

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said it would be a big disappointment if he won the Europa League,months after his predecessor Rafa Benitez guided the club to the title. Chelsea were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage last season,causing them to drop into the continent’s second tier competition which they won by beating Benfica in May. “If I win the Europa League it will be a big disappointment for me because I don’t want to play in it. I don’t want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition,” Mourinho said. Mourinho said the Champions League was a priority. “That’s the only European competition we have to play and that’s the one where we have to give our best,” he added.

Rudisha out of WC

Kenya’s Olympic 800m champion and world record-holder David Rudisha has withdrawn from next month’s World Championships in Moscow,his management team said on Tuesday. Rudisha’s participation had been in doubt because of a slow-healing knee injury sustained while running in New York’s Central Park. “It is just not possible for David to effectively defend his world title in Moscow,so we announced this morning his withdrawal,” his coach,Colm O’Connell,said on Tuesday. “He is improving,but the time factor is essential and a matter of concern to us. It’s only one month to the worlds and we don’t want to push and make it difficult for him and risk a recurrence of the injury,” said O’Connell.

Pakistan team for S Asian TT

A nine-member Pakistan contingent has confirmed its participation in the South Asian Junior Table Tennis Championships,even as Maldives have opted out of the regional tournament,scheduled to be held from July 20 to 22,in Delhi. “Pakistani players and officials have been granted visas and they will feature in the competition. Maldives haven’t sent their entry for the tournament due to a financial crunch,” Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) general secretary,Dhanraj Choudhary said. Now there will be only six teams in the championship — India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka,Nepal,Bangladesh and Bhutan. The winner and runner-up of the team competition will qualify for the Asian Juniors in Doha,Qatar in September.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results