India U-19 beat UAE
* Left-handed opener Akhil Herwadkar scored a century as India u-19 team thrashed hosts United Arab Emirates by 189 runs in the opening game of the U-19 Asia Cup. Batting first,India scored 320 for four with Herwadkar (101),Ankush Bains (77),Sanju Samson (65) and Ricky Bhui (54) contributing with the bat. In reply,UAE were bowled out for 131 in 40.1 over with pacer Deepak Hooda (4/21) and off-spinner Aamir Gani (3/33) sharing bulk of the spoils. Left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav also took couple of wickets.
Brief Scores: India U-19 320/4 (Akhil Herwadkar 101,Ankush Bains 77,Sanju Samson 65,Ricky Bhui 54); UAE U 19 131 all out in 40.1 overs (Deepak Hooda 4/21,Aamir Gani 3/33).
Kohli stays second in rankings
* Virat Kohli retained his second position to be the highest-placed Indian batsman,while skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Shikhar Dhawan also maintained their respective sixth and 10th spots in the latest ICC ODI rankings issued. India,meanwhile,held on to the top spot with 120 ratings points,while Australia continued to be in second place on 114 points,followed by England and South Africa. In the bowling charts,Ravindra Jadeja has gained a position to be on sixth spot,while R Ashwin remained static on 17th.
Cameroon tap dual-citizens
* The Cameroon football federation is to send a delegation to Europe in a bid to convince players of Cameroonian origin to make themselves available for next years World Cup in Brazil. FECAFOOT said they were focusing on four players who had been capped by France at junior level. The quartet comprises three 20-year-olds – Axel Ngando at Ligue 2 club AJ Auxerre,Samuel Umtiti at Olympique Lyon and Jean-Christophe Behebeck at Valenciennes – and the 21-year-old Paul-Georges Ntep de Madiba,also at Auxerre.
Uttarakhand,Services in final
* Uttarakhand and Services mens team registered victories in their respective semifinals to advance to the finals of the 62nd Senior Nationas Volleyball Championship. Uttarakhand defeated defending champions Kerala 3-0 in the semi-final,while Tamil Nadu defeated Services 3-1 in another match. In the womens category,Holders Railways hammered Haryana 3-0 to reach the finals.
Chandimal wins it for SL
* Dinesh Chandimal notched a half century for the first time in 11 months to carry Sri Lanka to a two-wicket victory over Pakistan in the fifth one-day international on Friday. Chandimal made a unbeaten 64 off 70 balls with just one four and a six as he put on a match-winning 40-run stand with No. 10 batsman Ajantha Mendis (19 not out) to guide his team to 235-8 in 49.4 overs. Pakistan,which clinched the series 3-2,was bowled out for 232 with Lasith Malinga taking 4/57
Brief Scores: Pakistan 232 all out in 49.3 overs (M ul Haq 51, A Ali 41 n.o,M Hafeez 41,L Malinga 4/57,S Lakmal 3/42) vs Sri Lanka 235/8 in 49.4 overs (D Chandimal 64 n.o,K Perera 47,Junaid 3/31,S Ajmal 2/43)