* Schalke 04 will be without injured midfielders Julian Draxler and Kevin-Prince Boateng when they take on lower-tier Darmstadt in the German Cup second round on Wednesday,coach Jens Keller said on Tuesday. Schalke,who won their opening Champions League group game last week against Steaua Bucharest,are eager to bounce back from a 4-0 demolition by Bayern Munich on Saturday. Draxler and Boateng will not be included in the squad due to injuries, Keller said s after the pair complained about minor knee injuries and were forced to skip training on Tuesday.
Oracle inch to Americas Cup
* Oracle Team USA moved a step closer to keeping the Americas Cup on Monday,winning the days only race and yet again preventing challenger Emirates Team New Zealand from clinching the trophy. It was the fifth straight victory for the team owned by billionaire Larry Ellison,which a week ago seemed like it was about to lose the worlds oldest sporting trophy but now looks strong enough to win the series – as long as it can keep the Kiwis from winning one more race.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Hamburger SV appoint Marwijk
* LHamburger SV has appointed Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk to replace the fired Thorsten Fink. The Bundesliga clubs says on its website that the former Netherlands coach will sign a deal through June 2015. The 61-year-old Van Marwijk will be assisted by Roel Coumans. Van Marwijk is to take charge of his first Hamburg training session on Wednesday,when the club will also introduce him at a news conference. Van Marwijk led to the Netherlands to the 2010 World Cup final but resigned from the national team after a disappointing Euro 2012.
Tomkins traded for record fee
* England fullback Sam Tomkins will become rugby leagues most expensive player when he moves from Wigan to New Zealand Warriors for the start of next year. Wigan says the 24-year-old Tomkins,the reigning Super League player of the year and arguably the best player in Europe,will join the Auckland-based NRL side on a three-year deal. Financial details werent disclosed but Wigan says Tomkins will move for a world-record fee,eclipsing the 450,000 pounds (now $720,000) Wigan paid Bradford for Stuart Fielden in 2007.
Russian walker gets lifetime ban
* A Russian athlete who placed fifth in the 50-kilometer walk at last years London Olympics has been handed a lifetime ban by the IAAF for a second doping offense. Igor Erokhin was one of 27 athletes to be given doping suspensions in the past month. Erokhin previously served a two-year ban after testing positive for EPO in 2008. The IAAF says his latest doping offense was an athlete biological passport case. Ukrainian heptathlete Lyudmila Yosypenko and Romanian marathon runner Simona Raula Maxim were given four-year bans,and the rest handed sanctions ranging from six months to two years.
Alonsos bid collapses
* Formula One driver Fernando Alonsos plans to buy Spanish cycling team Euskaltel-Euskadi have collapsed,sponsors Euskaltel said in a statement on Monday. We could not reach a definitive agreement. Euskaltel is now obliged,regrettably,to return to the process of an orderly and responsible closure of the project, they added.
India face Jordan in opener
* Indias Under-16 basketball team will face Jordan in their opening match of the third FIBA Asia Championship here tomorrow. The Asia Championship will be held between 14 teams from Sep 25 to Oct 4. The 14 teams have been divided into four groups in the preliminary round. India has been placed in Group C along with Jordan and Japan. India,who prepared in Dungguan,China for the Asia Championship,will play their second group match against Japan on Sep 27. China have won both the inaugural Asia Championship held in Malaysia in 2009 as well as the 2011 tournament held in Vietnam. India India finished a lowly 10th in both the editions.