Saina Nehwal advanced to the second round with an easy win but Parupalli Kashyap and P V Sindhu failed to cross the first hurdle in the Hong Kong Super Series here on Wednesday.
World number seven Saina didn’t break much sweat as she outplayed Indonesia’s Bellaetrix Manuputty 21-14 21-16 in a 34-minute women’s singles match. The 23-year-old will next take on Thailand’s Porntip Buranaprasertsuk on Thursday.
However,it was curtains for Sindhu and Kashyap in the opening round of the $350,000 event,the last Super Series of the season. World number 10 Sindhu lost 16-21 17-21 to second seed Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in another women’s singles match,while Kashyap suffered a 14-21 10-21 defeat at the hands of China’s Zhengming Wang in men’s singles competition.
Rising shuttler K Srikanth also crashed out in the opening round of men’s singles after going down 18-21 14-21 to world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia. India’s men’s doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar,too,suffered a similar fate as the duo lost 18-21 19-21 to top seeded Indonesian combo of Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan. Another Indian pair of Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy B were also send packing 9-21 15-21 by Russian pair of Vladimir Ivanov and Ivan Sozonov in a 26-minute match.
Saina,seeded seventh,was much superior than her world number 30 rival as she registered as many as 14 smash winners as compared to Bellaetrix. The Olympic bronze medallist had beaten Bellaetrix during the Indian Open in April this year and didn’t have to toil too much to record her second victory.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Saina will have to be careful in the next round against Porntip even though she enjoys a 6-0 lead over the Thai shuttler.