Rafael Nadal fought back to beat David Ferrer 4-6 7-6 (3) 6-0 in Fridays quarterfinals of the Madrid Open,keeping alive his bid to reach a seventh straight final since returning from injury. In a meeting of Spains top ranked players,Ferrers baseline game on the red clay almost proved too much for the fifth-seeded Nadal.
But Nadal held on to force a third set and won six straight games to improve his career record against Ferrer to 18-4,avoiding making an early exit like Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer earlier this week. Im just happy to be back in the semifinals at Madrid, said Nadal,who won in 2005 and 2010.
Nadal will play either Pablo Andujar or Kei Nishikori of Japan. The Spaniard has won four titles this year since being sidelined for several months with tendinitis in his left knee.
In the womens event,top-ranked Serena Williams struggled past Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-3 0-6 7-5 and second-seeded Maria Sharapova joined her in the semifinals after easing by Kaia Kanepi of Estonia 6-2 6-4.
The fourth-seeded Ferrers ability to keep points alive with error-free long rallies gave him an early lead. He used his speed to break twice in the second set,sealing both with approach shots at the net for a 4-2 advantage.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Nadal then dug in and broke twice to win the next three games.
Ferrer had a golden opportunity to earn two match points when leading 5-4 and 30-15. He had plenty of time to slam a floating ball into an open court but instead fired at his opponents feet,allowing Nadal to scoop it over the net.
Nadal was steadier in his shot-making to level in the tiebreaker,and he only got better in the third set. After placing a perfect lob near the baselines,he wowed the Caja Magica crowd by nailing a forehand winner while almost stumbling to the ground en route to building an insurmountable 4-0 lead.
Sharapova will play Ana Ivanovic in a battle of former No. 1s after the Serb dispatched Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-1. Williams will face Sara Errani of Italy,who downed Ekaterina Makarova 6-4 6-3.
Williams appeared to be worn down after being blanked in the second set and falling behind 4-2 in the decider. But the defending champion rallied to break the Spaniards serve twice. I just wasnt really into it,my feet werent moving, Williams said of the second set. To change it I got up early (before the third) and did some high knees,some stretching,anything I could to get my intensity back up to where it needs to be.