Rafael Nadal fought back to beat David Ferrer 4-6 7-6 (3) 6-0 in Fridays quarterfinals of the Madrid Open,keeping alive his bid to reach a seventh straight final since returning from injury. In a meeting of Spains top ranked players,Ferrers baseline game on the red clay almost proved too much for the fifth-seeded Nadal.
But Nadal held on to force a third set and won six straight games to improve his career record against Ferrer to 18-4,avoiding making an early exit like Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer earlier this week. Im just happy to be back in the semifinals at Madrid, said Nadal,who won in 2005 and 2010.
Nadal will play either Pablo Andujar or Kei Nishikori of Japan. The Spaniard has won four titles this year since being sidelined for several months with tendinitis in his left knee.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
In the womens event,top-ranked Serena Williams struggled past Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-3 0-6 7-5 and second-seeded Maria Sharapova joined her in the semifinals after easing by Kaia Kanepi of Estonia 6-2 6-4.
The fourth-seeded Ferrers ability to keep points alive with error-free long rallies gave him an early lead. He used his speed to break twice in the second set,sealing both with approach shots at the net for a 4-2 advantage.
Nadal then dug in and broke twice to win the next three games.
Ferrer had a golden opportunity to earn two match points when leading 5-4 and 30-15. He had plenty of time to slam a floating ball into an open court but instead fired at his opponents feet,allowing Nadal to scoop it over the net.
Nadal was steadier in his shot-making to level in the tiebreaker,and he only got better in the third set. After placing a perfect lob near the baselines,he wowed the Caja Magica crowd by nailing a forehand winner while almost stumbling to the ground en route to building an insurmountable 4-0 lead.
Sharapova will play Ana Ivanovic in a battle of former No. 1s after the Serb dispatched Angelique Kerber 6-3 6-1. Williams will face Sara Errani of Italy,who downed Ekaterina Makarova 6-4 6-3.
Williams appeared to be worn down after being blanked in the second set and falling behind 4-2 in the decider. But the defending champion rallied to break the Spaniards serve twice. I just wasnt really into it,my feet werent moving, Williams said of the second set. To change it I got up early (before the third) and did some high knees,some stretching,anything I could to get my intensity back up to where it needs to be.