More 26/11 if India attacks Pak,threatens al-Qaeda

A top al-Qaeda military commander in Afghanistan,who was reported killed in a US drone strike last year,has appeared in a video warning India of more Mumbai-style terror attacks if it tried to attack Pakistan.

Written by Agencies | New Delhi | Published:February 10, 2009 3:27 pm

A top al-Qaeda commander,who was reported killed in a US drone strike last year,has appeared in a video warning India of more Mumbai-style terror attacks if it tried to attack Pakistan.

“India should know that it will have to pay a heavy price if it attacks Pakistan,” Mustafa Abu al-Yazid,believed to be al-Qaeda’s military commander in Afghanistan and ranked behind No 2 Ayman al-Zawahiri,said in a 20-minute video in Arabic received by BBC.

Yazid,who the Pakistani military said may have been killed in fighting last August in the Bajaur tribal region,said: “The Mujahideen will sunder your armies into the ground,like they did to the Russians in Afghanistan.

“They will target your economic centres and raze them to the ground.”

Yazid denounced the ban on militant groups in Pakistan following the Mumbai attacks and asked the people of Pakistan to rise up and overthrow the government and President Asif Ali Zardari,the BBC reported.

The al-Qaeda leader is said to have been involved in a number of terror attacks,including last year’s Danish Embassy bombings,in Pakistan and had claimed the responsibility of assassinating former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

He was last heard in August 2008 when he confirmed the death of al-Qaeda chemical-weapons expert Midhat Mursi al-Sayid Umar.

India capable of facing any security threat: Antony

India is capable of facing any threat to its security coming from any quarter,Defence Minister A K Antony said on Tuesday in wake of a warning from a top al-Qaeda commander.

“One thing I can tell you. Whatever threat coming from any quarter,our armed forces are always ready to face them,” Antony said on the sidelines of a function in Thiruvananthapuram.

He was replying to a question on reports about a top al-Qaeda commander warning India of more Mumbai-style terror strikes if it tried to attack Pakistan.

Antony,however,said he had not come across this particular report.

Commenting on Pakistan’s demand for more information from India to complete its probe into the Mumbai terror attack,Antony said he had nothing more to add than what External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had said on the matter

“My senior colleague Mukherjee had already made India’s position clear on the matter. He had already explained this categorically. We are one Government,one voice,” he added.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda