Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas both earned and converted penalties to help give injury-battered Barcelona a 4-0 win at home over 10-man Granada on Saturday. Injured Lionel Messi watched from the sidelines at Camp Nou as the pair of Spain midfielders took turns drawing fouls from Granada’s aggressive defenders,before letting the other score the spot kick.
Iniesta slotted in Barcelona’s first goal in the 20th minute before Fabregas made it 2-0 in the 40th.
Granada played a man down from the 66th after Manuel Iturra received his second booking. Alexis Sanchez scored five minutes later before Pedro Rodriguez capped Barcelona’s victory in the 90th.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The win provisionally moved Barcelona six points clear of second-place Atletico Madrid and nine points ahead of Real Madrid before the title rivals play games later.
This was Barcelona’s first match since learning that a left hamstring tear will keep Messi sidelined probably until January. It was also missing playmaker Xavi Hernandez,goalkeeper Victor Valdes,defenders Dani Alves and Jordi Alba,and backup forward Cristian Tello,all due to injury. But it didn’t look like Barcelona was missing five of its first-choice players.
Barcelona dominated a Granada side that had only lost once away this season to remain unbeaten with a league record of 13 wins and one draw.
Iniesta got Barcelona rolling by driving his spot kick low and inside the right post after Fabregas was knocked down by Dimitri Foulquier. Fabregas then took his turn to blast the ball into the top right corner following Fran Rico’s foul of Iniesta .
Barcelona replacement goalkeeper Jose Pinto got his chance in the 71st when he beat Allan Nyom one-on-one,starting a counterattack that finished with Neymar passing for Alexis to equal Messi as Barcelona’s leading scorer in the league this season with eight goals.
Fabregas set up Pedro for his seventh goal of the league campaign.