Lionel Messi missed a late penalty attempt before Barcelona clinched the Spanish Super Cup despite being held to a 0-0 draw by 10-man Atletico Madrid.
Messi had a chance to put the result beyond doubt in 89th but fired his penalty kick off the crossbar to finish a forgettable night for the Argentina star yesterday. Barcelona eventually claimed the trophy on away goals following the 1-1 draw in the opening leg last week. Atleticos disciplined defense stifled a Barcelonas attack featuring Neymar making his first starting appearance for his new club. And the visitors enjoyed the best scoring opportunities other than Messis penalty attempt but werent able to get the critical goal,mainly because of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes. Atleticos chances were hurt in the 81st when Filipe Luis was given a red card for apparently hitting Dani Alves.
The scoreless draw meant Neymars first-leg goal was the difference. Im happy with the title. Whenever there is a title in play what counts is winning it, Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino said. But as far as the team goes,I want to see more. Above all in these types of games,we need to find more precision and the ability to create more spaces. Messi was back for Barcelona after missing one game due to a left thigh injury sustained in the opening Super Cup match last week.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls