France produced one of soccers most famous comebacks on Tuesday to scrape into next years World Cup finals via the playoffs while Portugal blazed through after Cristiano Ronaldo conjured up a sensational hat-trick. The two European heavyweights will be joined in next Junes finals by Croatia,Greece,Ghana and Algeria after they prevailed in their second leg playoffs.
France had to overturn a 2-0 deficit at home to Ukraine and did so with aplomb,Mamadou Sakho,an offside Karim Benzema and an Oleg Gusev own goal after 72 minutes sending the Stade de France wild as the fans celebrated a 3-2 aggregate triumph. The 1998 winners had not missed a major tournament since 1994 when coach Didier Deschamps was on the field and he was determined not to let it happen again as France became the first side to fight back from 2-0 down in European World Cup playoffs.
He brought Benzema back into the team and although the strikers goal looked well offside,he had an earlier effort wrongly ruled out by a linesmans flag. Defender Sakho,another player who did not start Fridays limp showing in the first leg in Kiev,grabbed the opener with his first international goal.
It was a great,great game. It was important for French football to be in Brazil next year when weve got all the ingredients,we can do great things, Deschamps told TF1 TV.
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
Ronaldo’s stunning treble took Portugal to the finals after three breakaway goals in a 3-2 win in Sweden completed a 4-2 aggregate success as rival Zlatan Ibrahimovic came to life with his own second-half double for the hosts. Both forwards have been accused of not stepping up when it really matters on the biggest stage but Ronaldo shot down any doubters with a virtuoso display,using his pace to net three goals. I know Portugal needed me in these matches and I showed I am here, Ronaldo told Portuguese TV.
Croatia won 2-0 on aggregate and on the night despite playing most of their home leg against tiny Iceland with 10 men after Mario Mandzukic opened the scoring midway through the first half only to be sent off for a studs up tackle soon after. Kostas Mitroglou again shone to help Greece,European champions in 2004,reach soccers greatest showpiece after his composed early finish in a 1-1 draw in Romania set up a 4-2 aggregate victory following his two goals in the first leg.
Ghana,who had a five-goal lead going into their second leg,secured a third straight World Cup finals appearance despite a 2-1 defeat by Egypt in Cairo. The Ghanaians went through 7-3 on aggregate after strikes by Egypt forwards Amr Zaki and Gedo were followed up by a late reply from Kevin-Prince Boateng.
Algeria beat Burkina Faso on away goals after a 3-3 aggregate draw and 1-0 home win in the second leg,Madjid Bougherra scoring with a fluke goal when the ball deflected in off his head following Bakary Kones attempted clearance.
Mexico book berth
Oribe Peralta bagged a first-half hat-trick to help Mexico book their passage with a 4-2 victory over New Zealand at Wellington Regional Stadium on Wednesday. Mexico won the two-legged tie 9-3 on aggregate after they had virtually sealed qualification with a 5-1 victory at the Azteca Stadium last week.
South Africa stun champions Spain
Qualifiers Spain and the United States suffered blows in friendlies,the world champions beaten 1-0 by eliminated South Africa on the Soccer City pitch where they clinched their 2010 crown and the Americans losing 1-0 away to lowly Austria. I think we can even say the defeat was well deserved, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque told Cuatro TV.
In friendlies among 2014 finalists,Per Mertesacker’s header sealed Germany’s 1-0 win as England lost for the second time in five days at Wembley,the Netherlands drew 0-0 with Colombia and much-hyped Belgium went down 3-2 at home to Japan. Ange Postecoglou enjoyed a winning start as Australia coach with a 1-0 triumph over Costa Rica and Russia saw off South Korea 2-1 in another friendly in Dubai.
In a landmark friendly,Gibraltar drew 0-0 with Slovakia in Portugal on Tuesday in their first match since being admitted to UEFA,Europe’s governing soccer body. Reuters