Fernando Alonso shed pounds in the off-season to get in shape for the upcoming Formula One campaign,but the Renault driver’s ambitions remain as large as ever.
The Spaniard lost three kilograms after skipping his favourite dishes during the off-season and has reportedly agreed to take a paycut as the sport starts cutting costs.
But while the double world champion has a smaller waistline and thinner paypacket,he is no less keen about his prospects after a strong finish to last season. “I feel good,I feel confident the car will perform well,” he told reporters at Albert Park on Thursday,adding that the race would be very open.
Alonso finished fifth last season in his first year back at Renault but expected the French team to be much stronger this campaign.
He failed to make the podium in each of the first 14 races but ended the season on a high,winning in Singapore and Japan and placing second in Brazil.
“We have a better starting point compared to last year,” he said.
“Here in Australia we were a bit off the pace but hopefully this year we can start scoring points right from the start.
“You learn things every year. Last year was no different.”