In a big blow to Delhi Daredevils,their star batsman Kevin Pietersen was today ruled out of the upcoming Indian Premier League due to a knee injury which he sustained during the ongoing New Zealand tour.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said Pietersen experienced knee pain while fielding in preparation for the four-day game in Queens town ahead of the Test series,which has failed to resolve satisfactorily.
“Recent scans confirm an injury to the right knee with bone bruising and possible cartilage damage to the kneecap. The 32-year-old will return to the UK for further investigations and specialist review,” ECB said on its website.
Pietersen will not available for the English side in the third and final Test against New Zealand starting Friday at Auckland. “The injury is likely to require ongoing assessments anda six-eight week period of rest and rehabilitation. Pietersen has therefore been withdrawn from all cricket including the Indian Premier League,” it added.
Daredevils will take on defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders in their opening encounter of the sixth edition of the IPL on April 3 at Eden Gardens. In 2011,Pietersen had missed the entire season for Deccan Chargers and was sold to Delhi Daredevils in the 2012 season without having played a single game for the Chargers.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Kevin Pietersen has been ruled out of the decisive third test against New Zealand starting on Friday because of a knee injury,the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Wednesday.
Pietersen injured his right knee earlier this month while taking part in fielding practice and scans have revealed bone bruising and possible cartilage damage.
“The injury is likely to require ongoing assessments and a likely 6-8 week period of rest and rehabilitation,” the ECB said in a statement.
“Pietersen has therefore been withdrawn from all cricket including the Indian Premier League.” The first two tests in New Zealand,both of which Pietersen played in,ended in draws.