India failed to make the quarterfinals of the Sudirman Cup mixed team badminton championship after suffering a 1-4 thrashing at the hands of Indonesia in their second group match. Parupalli Kashyap was the lone Indian who could offer some solace by registering a 21-18 21-14 victory over Rumbaka Dionysius Hayom in the men’s singles category,even as P V Sindhu along with other Indians were outclassed by the Indonesians at the Putra Stadium.
India had already lost two ties before World number 11 Kashyap managed to prevail over a lower ranked opponent in a 44-minute battle. The Group A match began with the men’s doubles contest,which Akshay Dewalkar and Pranaav Chopra lost in straight games 13-21 10-21 to the pair of Angga Pratama and Rian Agung Saputra in just 24 minutes.
In the second tie,World number 13 Sindhu failed to live up to the expectations as she went down tamely to Fanetri Lindaweni,ranked 15th,15-21 10-21 in women’s singles. Without Saina Nehwal,there was a lot of pressure on the 17-year-old Sindhu,who had fought hard against world number three Wang Yihan on Sunday,failed to show the same spirit a in a 36-minute contest.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The women’s doubles pair of Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre also lost 19-21 20-22 to Greysia Polii and Nitya Krishinda Maheswari . In the mixed doubles category,the combo of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan were outplayed by Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir 13-21 14-21 in 29 minutes.
India had earlier lost 0-5 to China in their opening Group A match on Sunday.