Cape Verde’s fairytale progress to the last round of African World Cup qualifiers turned into a nightmare on Thursday when FIFA found them guilty of fielding an ineligible player and turfed them out of the competition. Their place in the final round playoffs will be taken by Tunisia,who the Cape Verdians had sensationally eliminated at the weekend to win their group with a shock 2-0 win in Tunis.
Tunisia coach Nabil Maaloul quit in the wake of the embarrassing setback. FIFA said in a statement that Tunisia had been awarded a 3-0 victory because Cape Verde defender Fernando Varela should have sat out the match after being sent off in a qualifier in March.
It means Tunisia finish top of Group B and will play in the final round of the qualifiers next month and in November. The 10 group winners go into a draw on Monday to determine the pairings for the five playoff matches from which the winners will go to Brazil next year.
Cape Verde have also been fined 6,000 Swiss francs ($6,400) after a meeting of the FIFA disciplinary committee.
The latest administrative mix-up continues a bizarre sequence of similar failings that have already seen Burkina Faso,Equatorial Guinea,Ethiopia,Gabon,Sudan and Togo all sanctioned for using ineligible players during the 2014 qualifiers. Cape Verde had themselves been awarded 3-0 wins from their two group matches against Equatorial Guinea following similar sanctions,which put them back in contention to win the group after Tunisia had in June seemingly sewn up top place.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016