Imposter agents & $47.5mn hoax

Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera’s proposed $47.5 million move to Manchester United turned out to be a hoax

Published: September 4, 2013 1:32:39 am

Imposter agents & $47.5mn hoax

* Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera’s proposed $47.5 million move to Manchester United turned out to be a hoax after three men attempting to broker the deal were labelled imposters,British media reported on Monday. “Reports in Spain claim three men dressed in black suits and claiming to be United “representatives” spent an hour at the La Liga offices attempting to negotiate a deal. The move collapsed at the 11th hour,” the BBC reported on the final day of the transfer window on Monday. “Confirmation from Manchester United that three men who reportedly attempted to negotiate a deal to sign Ander Herrera were not acting on behalf of the Premier League champions and were… imposters,” the BBC report added.

Can’t stop spending: Blatter

* FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Tuesday he was powerless to stop transfer fees from rocketing following the world record fee of $132 million paid by Real Madrid for Welsh winger Gareth Bale. “(Even) when you say a country is poor or in debt,you always find money in football,” Blatter told reporters. “If the price of a player is high or not high,I think it’s the market that decides and we cannot intervene in the market.”

Blatter said he doubted that any player was worth the sum paid for Bale. “If a player is the value of that,I doubt it,but I cannot stop it,” he said. Blatter said he remembered a similar controversy when Brazilian forward Ronaldo moved from Inter Milan to Real Madrid in 2002. “At the same time,there was an auction at Sothebys in London where they sold a Picasso painting from the blue period for more than more than 50 million pounds ($78 million),” said Blatter. “So I said,the man who acquired this painting,he will put it somewhere closed circuit because it’s dangerous to lose it. But Ronaldo,you will see him twice every week in a stadium.”

Barca reject transfer criticism

* Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has rejected criticism of the club’s transfer policy after a failed attempt to land a centre back before the window closed on Monday. The Spanish champions were chasing Thiago Silva but the Brazil captain opted to stay with Paris St Germain in France’s Ligue 1 and Barca’s only major signing was Silva’s international team mate and forward Neymar from Santos. Defensive weakness was cited as one reason for last year’s failure in the Champions League and the back four looked far from assured in Sunday’s 3-2 La Liga win at Valencia. Zubizarreta told a news conference on Tuesday the club was closely observing the market,raising the prospect they could move for another centre back in the January transfer window.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adda
Advertisement
Advertisement