Having impressed in Australia during Indias tour Down Under last year,middle-order batman Rohit Sharma is hoping to replicate his success across the Tasman Sea in neighbouring New Zealand. Excerpts from a conversation with one of the many first-time travellers to New Zealand in the Indian team:
It will be your first visit to New Zealand. Any plans?
• No specific plans,I will just try to do my best. When I went to Australia,I knew the conditions there would suit me,and New Zealand is more or less the same. Its just that New Zealand is more breezy there is bounce,and therell be movement. Even when I played in Ranji Trophy matches,the wickets were good and had some bounce. Im confident that if given a chance,I will do well.
What kind of role do you see yourself playing?
• New Zealand and Australia are not much different except for the windy conditions. I know that I wont be batting at the top the order,so I have to be ready for any situation. Im taking my Australia experience there and hoping to come out the same way.
Have you spoken to Sehwag or Tendulkar the only batsmen who have played ODI there?
• So far,I havent,but I will definitely do that once we get there. The last time I played in Australia,I spoke a lot to Tendulkar and that helped. Sehwag had a good show there and talking to both will certainly be good.
How do you rate Indias chances?
• Its hard to say at this moment but the way we have played over the last three-four series,the mood in the camp is good. Everybody is in a positive frame of mind.
What are your views on the New Zealand side?
• I really dont know which players are playing in the current New Zealand team. I have played Vettori and Gillespie and others in the IPL and A tours. I have scored against them,so Im confident of doing that again.