Stylists are edging towards classic looks and away from overindulgence
AS the economy has taken a turn,so too has the publics tolerance for extravagant display. And this year stylists expect celebrities to take their cues from stars popular during the golden age of Hollywood,edging toward classic looks and away from any trend that smacks of ostentatious consumerism.
Stylists agreed that curls will frame necklines,replacing jewel-crusted chandelier earrings,as the newest fashion accessory. Kohl-ringed eyes will be replaced by softer,smoky colors. And if anyone is wearing handmade mink eyelashes such as those promoted by Jennifer Lopez in recent years,it is likely they wont be bragging about them. Five months after the 9/11 attacks,for example,Nicole Kidman appeared on the red carpet at the Academy Awards with elegant subdued waves while Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts swept their hair up in a helmet of tight curls.
Sally Hershberger,a top celebrity hairstylist,said she expected beauty trends to hark back to classic styles of the 1940s and 1950s,when the porcelain-skinned Grace Kelly and her remote elegance reigned onscreen. Hershberger said she had been hired to style Eva Longoria for an advertisement and she chose the coif popularised by Veronica Lake,signature peek-a-boo bangs covering one eye. Hershberger and others who are styling stars for the awards shows said curls would be structured,but not as tightly wound as earlier periods.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Fashion has moved on, said Annabelle Tollman,a stylist who works with Scarlett Johansson. The super tan sexy look,with the loose hair and shimmering makeup,thats done. For the face,understated but tasteful is key: perhaps redshiny glosses will be tucked awayand skin that is nude,softened with pink blush on the cheeks.
For those looking for a more dramatic look,however,stylists are recommending smoky eye shadows and linersgray,purple and brown,but no black. The mink eyelashes wont fly,either. But even with talk of toning the glamour down a bit,Botox is still likely to rule.,Laura M. Holson,NYT