In a bizarre incident,a drunk Canadian man swam across the Detroit river from Canada to the US and nearly returned the same way,but was stopped by international rescue teams and arrested for the stunt.
A woman told the police that her friend,John Morillo,a 47-year-old man from Windsor,entered the Detroit River in hopes of swimming across and did not return.He swam from Windsor in Canada to Detroit in the US but was arrested on his way back.
After the US and Canadian Coast Guards were notified late Monday night,three boats and a helicopter were deployed to search for Morillo,The Detroit News reported.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The US Coast Guard found the man on the Canadian side of the river at 12:30 am Tuesday,just west of the Hilton Hotel,and returned him to the Canadian shoreline. Morillo did not suffer any injuries during the stunt,police said.
“If I’m going to be in the paper,I’d at least like them to say I actually made it,even though I got in trouble and everything,” Morillo told the Windsor Star.”I gotta pay fines and stuff. But I don’t want it to soundlike I didn’t make it,because then my buddies are going to say ‘ha,ha,you didn’t make it’. Because that was the whole thing,to show them I could do it,” he said. He was arrested and issued a citation for being intoxicated in a public place. The Harbour Master of the Windsor Port Authority is investigating the incident.
Morillo also told the Star Windsor,which first reported the incident,that he was informed he will likely be fined up to USD 25,000 for swimming in a shipping channel. Windsor police said swimming in the Detroit River is extremely dangerous because of the undertow in the shipping channel. It is also illegal under Port Authority regulations.