Bayern Munich barely staved off an improbable comeback Wednesday,eliminating Arsenal from the Champions League despite a 2-0 loss at home to leave England without a team in the quarterfinals for the first time in 17 years. Olivier Giroud gave Arsenal an early lead in the third minute and Laurent Koscielny added the second in the 86th but Arsenal remained one goal away from erasing its 3-1 deficit from the first leg.
Bayern is a four-time winner of the competition and was runner-up twice in the last three seasons. It reached the last eight for the 12th time. With Borussia Dortmund also in the quarterfinals,Germany has two sides in the last eight for the first time in 11 years. With Manchester United,Manchester City and Chelsea all having been eliminated already,England is without a team in the quarterfinals for the first time since 1996. The loss also ensured that Arsenal will finish without a trophy for the eighth straight season.
In the second match Wednesday,Malaga beat Porto 2-0 to reach the last eight 2-1 on aggregate. Arsenal’s players had said before the game they needed a “miracle” to advance,and after the early goal it looked like they might just get one.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Tomas Rosicky fed Walcott on the right and the winger found space when David Alaba slipped on the wet grass. Walcott raced into the penalty area and sent a hard,low ball through the legs of Dante and across the goal for Giroud to drive it into the roof of the net from a couple of meters out. Bayern gradually took control of the game and didn’t allow any more dangerous chances for the rest of the half. The hosts then dominated much of the second half but were limited mostly to long-range attempts.
Shots from Arjen Robben,Toni Kroos and Luiz Gustavo narrowly missed Arsenal’s goal and the best chance for Bayern came when Thomas Mueller sent a through ball with his heel for Robben,who raced alone toward the goal but was foiled by goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski in the 68th. Arsenal had only one real chance before its second goal,when substitute Gervinho rolled the ball past Manuel Neuer but also wide of the post. Arsenal then added more suspense into the match by netting the second. Santi Cazorla sent in a corner and Koscielny beat Javi Martinez to the header and sent the ball low inside the right post.
Bayern remains on course for three trophies. It is 20 points ahead in the Bundesliga and is also in the semifinals of the German Cup.