Defending champion Spain will play its opening 2014 World Cup game against the Netherlands,a repeat of the ill-tempered 2010 final,while host Brazil faces a relatively easy path to the knockout stage after Fridays draw. Argentina,champion in 1978 and 1986,first plays Bosnia-Herzegovina,the only World Cup newcomer among the 32 teams.
Englands first match will be in the heat and humidity of the Amazon basin,which coach Roy Hodgson was anxious to avoid. That night game in the Amazon city of Manaus pits the 1966 champion against Italy,a four-time winner. Both will have to play their best to advance from Group D,since it also includes 2010 semifinalist Uruguay and Costa Rica. Its a tough group,theres no doubt about that. In Italy and Uruguay its almost as though we have got two number one seeds in our group. We know how good Italy are because we lost to them in the quarterfinals at the Euros. The game is going to be tough from a climate point of view for both teams, said Hodgson.
England could also face hostility from the home crowd after the citys mayor said he did not want the English in Manaus because they complained about the venues climate.
The United States was drawn into a tough group with Germany,the winner in 1954,1974 and 1990,as well as Cristiano Ronaldos Portugal and Ghana,a quarterfinalist in 2010. The U.S. is coached by former Germany striker Jurgen Klinsmann.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
After their first game at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro,the Argentine team of four-time world player of the year Lionel Messi then plays Iran and finally Nigeria. In six previous World Cup encounters,Nigeria has beaten Argentina just once. Argentina will be heavily favored to come out top of its Group F. If so,it could find either Switzerland or France in its way in its first knockout game. Those European nations will be hoping to come out on top of their Group E that also includes Ecuador and Honduras.
The Spain-Netherlands match is on June 13,a Friday. When they met at the 2010 final,referee Howard Webb showed a record 14 yellow cards,two leading to red for the Netherlands John Heitinga.
Brazil starts its campaign for a sixth World Cup title with an opener against Croatia. Mexico and Cameroon are also in the group. Colombia,Greece,Ivory Coast and Japan are in Group C,with Uruguay,Costa Rica,England and Italy in a strong Group D. One of the easiest groups on paper looked to be E,with Switzerland,Ecuador,France and Honduras. Russia,host of the next World Cup,is in Group H with Belgium,Algeria and Korea.