A powerful bomb exploded a few minutes before the celebrations of Independence day today in Manipur but no casualty was reported.
The bomb,planted by insurgents,went off at around 8.20 AM at Moirangkhom petrol pump area,about 400 metres from the 1st Manipur rifles parade ground where the main function of the I-Day celebrations would be held from 9 AM with Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh as the chief guest.
Police said the bomb,planted at road side and handiwork of insurgent outfits,was of a low intensity but sound of the explosion was heard from a distance. Senior police officials who were present at the venue of the I-Day celebrations rushed to the spot and blocked all exit routes before checking passers-by at the nearby areas.
The site of today’s explosion is about one km from the residence of Chief Minister and police headquarters. Official sources said there has been heavy deployment of police and central para-military forces since the explosion of a powerful grenade in front of the residence of Ibobi Singh on August 10 last in capital area in Imphal west district besides stepping up patrolling and checking of passers by.
The militant outfit People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak-Progressive (PREPAK-P) had claimed responsibility for explosion of grenade at Singh’s residence area. Coordination Committee (CORCOM),formed by six major insurgent organisations including PREPAK-P,have called for boycott of today’s Independence day celebrations. Official sources said CORCOM have been boycotting Independence and Republic day celebrations every year for the past three decades now.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016