Billions cannot be spent on Ijaz’s security: Gilani

Ijaz has sparked a row in Pak by making public a memo that sought US help to stave off a coup.

Written by Agencies | Lahore | Published: January 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Controversial Pakistani-American Mansoor Ijaz,who has been summoned by a judicial panel probing the memo scam,will be provided security,but billions of rupees could not be spent on it,Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said today.

“Under the constitution,providing security to Ijaz is the duty of the Interior Ministry as and when required the Rangers and Army can also be summoned,” Gilani said.

However,he was quoted as saying by Geo TV that it seemed like a viceroy was coming to Pakistan not Mansoor Ijaz and billions could not be spent on his security.

Ijaz has sparked a row in Pakistan by making public an alleged memo that sought US help to stave off a feared military coup in Pakistan last year.

Gilani said the whole controversy had sent a negative image about Pakistan internationally.

He said the American businessman has “no credibility” and one should not worry too much about his claims.

A Supreme-Court appointed commission is probing the memo scandal. The panel has summoned him to appear before it on January 24.

Ijaz,who was issued a visa by the Pakistani mission in London on Thursday,has declined to say when he would travel to Islamabad to testify before the panel.

He has alleged that the Pakistan government was trying to prevent him from testifying in Islamabad and blamed Interior Minister Rehman Malik of launching a smear campaign against him.

For all the latest News Archive News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.