A day after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) handed down bans to five domestic players,it seems unlikely any action will be taken against the IPL franchises the players had claimed were also involved in financial misconduct.
The five banned players had been recorded in a television sting operation saying it was an open secret that uncapped players were being wooed by franchises with more money than BCCI rules permitted. They had also mentioned how one franchise had given an expensive car to a domestic player in order to rope him into their side.
A top BCCI official,however,said that the board cannot do anything as the players have since recanted in front of a disciplinary committee headed by N Srinivasan,Arun Jaitley,Niranjan Shah and Ravi Sawani,the BCCIs new anti-corruption unit head.
We cant take any action on franchises because we dont have any proof. Those same players who made allegations have now denied it during investigation. They told BCCI that what they said was mere loose talk. They did it to impress (the channel) and gain more money and so we have no proof of franchises doing anything wrong. To take action we need proof, the official said.
And while the players have paid the penalty Mohnish Mishra,who represented Pune Warriors,Goa off-arm spinner Amit Yadav and Abhinav Bali were given one year bans by the BCCIs disciplinary committee for their loose talk on Saturday the franchises arent off the hook just yet.
IT net still hovering
The income tax department has been tracking franchisess records after the sting operation. Pune Warriorss office was raided after the IPL,as were the offices of Royal Challengers Bangalore. The IT department is looking after the franchises IPL transactions and if they find any irregularities they will surely take action, the source added.