A 6.6-magnitude strong earthquake today ripped through China’s northwestern Gansu Province,killing at least 54 people and injuring nearly 300 others,local authorities said.
The quake shook the area at 7.45 am (local time) at the junction of the Minxian County and Zhangxian County,the Gansu Provincial Seismological Bureau said.
The epicenter,with a depth of 20 km,was 170 km away from the provincial capital Lanzhou,state-run Xinhua news agency quoted officials as saying.
A 5.6-magnitude quake jolted the same area later at 9.12 a.m,the agency said.
“The death toll from the deadly quake has risen to 47,with 296 injured,” Xinhua quoted Gansu Earthquake Networks Center as saying.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Some 21,000 rooms from 5,600 houses have been damaged,while 1,203 rooms collapsed in Zhangxian county. Cables were damaged,cutting telecommunications in Minxian county.
Communication was cut off in 13 towns of Zhangxian County. Officials of with the Minxian County government said most of the townships in the county have been affected by the quake. The townships of Meichuan and Puma were seriously hit.
Many homes in the quake-hit region collapsed,according to the civil affairs bureau of the Dingxi City.
The locals in Minxian County said strong tremor was felt in the area and they saw trees and homes were shaking. They also said that the quake lasted for about one minute.
Soldiers,police and more than 300 local militiamen have been dispatched to the quake-hit region to help with rescue efforts. The provincial civil affairs department has sent 500 tents and 2,000 quilts to the quake-hit region.
The Red Cross Society of China has also dispatched a team of disaster relief workers,with 200 tents,1,000 family emergency kits and 2,000 cotton-padded jackets.
Lanzhou Railway Bureau has started the emergency response to guarantee the safety of railway bridges and communication equipment in the province.
Light to moderate rain and partly heavy rain were forecast in Dingxi city,according to the provincial meteorological station,which would affect the rescue efforts.
Meanwhile,the earthquake was also felt in Tianshui city and the provincial capital city of Lanzhou besides in the cities of Xi’an,Baoji and Xianyang in neighboring Shaanxi Province.