A 6.6-magnitude strong earthquake today ripped through China’s northwestern Gansu Province,killing at least 54 people and injuring nearly 300 others,local authorities said.
The quake shook the area at 7.45 am (local time) at the junction of the Minxian County and Zhangxian County,the Gansu Provincial Seismological Bureau said.
The epicenter,with a depth of 20 km,was 170 km away from the provincial capital Lanzhou,state-run Xinhua news agency quoted officials as saying.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
A 5.6-magnitude quake jolted the same area later at 9.12 a.m,the agency said.
“The death toll from the deadly quake has risen to 47,with 296 injured,” Xinhua quoted Gansu Earthquake Networks Center as saying.
Some 21,000 rooms from 5,600 houses have been damaged,while 1,203 rooms collapsed in Zhangxian county. Cables were damaged,cutting telecommunications in Minxian county.
Communication was cut off in 13 towns of Zhangxian County. Officials of with the Minxian County government said most of the townships in the county have been affected by the quake. The townships of Meichuan and Puma were seriously hit.
Many homes in the quake-hit region collapsed,according to the civil affairs bureau of the Dingxi City.
The locals in Minxian County said strong tremor was felt in the area and they saw trees and homes were shaking. They also said that the quake lasted for about one minute.
Soldiers,police and more than 300 local militiamen have been dispatched to the quake-hit region to help with rescue efforts. The provincial civil affairs department has sent 500 tents and 2,000 quilts to the quake-hit region.
The Red Cross Society of China has also dispatched a team of disaster relief workers,with 200 tents,1,000 family emergency kits and 2,000 cotton-padded jackets.
Lanzhou Railway Bureau has started the emergency response to guarantee the safety of railway bridges and communication equipment in the province.
Light to moderate rain and partly heavy rain were forecast in Dingxi city,according to the provincial meteorological station,which would affect the rescue efforts.
Meanwhile,the earthquake was also felt in Tianshui city and the provincial capital city of Lanzhou besides in the cities of Xi’an,Baoji and Xianyang in neighboring Shaanxi Province.