Uttar Pradesh: Cleared of terror charges, Muslim youth waits for job

In June, 2007, UP’s Special Task Force had arrested Nasir from a hotel in Lucknow, claiming that they had recovered explosives including RDX and detonators from his possession.

Written by Manish Sahu | Lucknow | Published:September 15, 2016 4:23 am

IT HAS been two years since Nasir Hussain, a 36-year-old man from Bijnor district, was acquitted in a terror case by a lower court of Lucknow after being in jail for more than seven years.

However, he continues to struggle for survival, waiting for Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to fulfill his promise of rehabilitating Muslim youths who were exonerated of terror charges in the party’s 2012 election manifesto.

In a letter to the Chief Minister, Nasir, who currently works at a general merchant shop in a rented place near his house in Badapur locality in Bijnor, alleged that despite being acquitted and released from jail in March, 2014, the ruling SP government is yet to fulfill its promise.

“I have written to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav reminding him of the promises SP made in its 2012 poll manifesto of rehabilitating Muslim youths who were acquitted of terror charges.

“The manifesto had also promised to punish the police officials responsible for framing them. But no such initiative has been taken from the government so far. I am still struggling for survival since being released from jail,” said Nasir.

He added that the state government’s attempt to withdraw cases against innocent Muslim youths booked under terror charges have already been stayed by the court.

“There are many more Muslim youths like me who are acquitted in terror cases. Two such youths —Yakoob and Naushad Hafiz — who belong to Bijnor are also facing financial crunch and are struggling for survival,” said Nasir.
Nasir lives with his father Hamid Hussain, mother Amana and two brothers Zakir Hussain and Nazir Hussain.

In June, 2007, UP’s Special Task Force had arrested Nasir from a hotel in Lucknow, claiming that they had recovered explosives including RDX and detonators from his possession. Nasir was charged with planning terror attack and sedition. However, a seer — Swami Shivanand — who runs an ashram in Uttarakhand’s Tehri Garhwal district, gave a statement in court stating that Nasir was part of a construction work going on at his ashram when the police “picked” him in June 19, 2007.

He added that the police theory was wrong as their record stated he was arrested from Lucknow on June 21.

On March 20, 2014, a local court in Lucknow acquitted Nasir for lack of evidence. Two months after his release, Nasir got married to Afsana and now has a one-year-old daughter.

“Around a month after coming out of jail, I met the chief minister at his residence in Lucknow along with Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind head Arshad Madni, and requested him for a government job. Two weeks later, an official from Bijnor district administration visited my place and took my educational qualification documents. We were happy that the government was doing something for me. However, two years have passed since then and nothing has been done regarding my job,” claimed Nasir.

His brother, Zakir, who works in a bank, said, “Few months after Nasir’s educational documents were taken, we wrote a letter to the chief minister reminding about his assurance. But, we did not get any reply.”

The state government has filed an appeal challenging the lower court’s acquittal of the six persons, including Nasir, who were arrested on terror charges. Nasir said he was unaware of the appeal, currently pending in the high court.