A plethora of images, videos, reflections and shadows. Meditations and interpretations, whispers and undimmed voices. Laminated by these, Delhi-based filmmaker Priyanka Chhabra’s short film Shame was a Place Inside explores the nebulous space between a body and its consciousness, between self-reproach and self-doubt.
Beefing up on the concept of an audio installation, Chhabra’s film will be screened as part of the 14th PSBT Open Frame film festival.
The 12-minute film reels out fractions of candid conversations the filmmaker and illustrator had with her friends. Recorded mostly in public places (think parks, coffee houses or the metro) these bits and pieces of conversations are intended at triggering a caravan of thoughts, and leave the audience with something to deliberate on. It ventures forth to explore the psychology of shame, and where it originates from. “You are told what to be ashamed about, because you don’t have a concept of shame,” says one of the many voices in Chhabra’s film. “The core idea was to start by stitching together varying personal experiences, reflect on the larger issues of sex, morality, desire and gender. And then to raise potent questions about the validity of female desire and the role of the family in creating gender norms,” says Chhabra, a 2009 graduate of National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad. Her earlier work includes a short experimental film called A Summer Flu (2013), which was screened at a few film festivals.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Pondering over the roots of fear and shame, the filmmaker has put down the questions in her concept note. It reads: “Just how far deep and where does the emotion of shame reside. Does it lie in the landscape that unglamorously sprouts between my lips and my nose? Or maybe in the dark shadows below my stomach and between my legs”. Gleaming with potential of the filmmaker’s approach and the unusual subject at hand, the film promises to be more than just a dekko. Post the PSBT premiere, Chhabra hopes for it to travel to other film festivals.
The film will be screened today at CD Deshmukh Auditorium, India International Centre, Lodhi Estate, 3:45pm onwards.
Entry is free. Contact 24619431