A wisp of song can set you free. A roughly drawn map can hold the idea of a nation. On the eve of India’s 68th Independence, Day, artists across genres share their thoughts on freedom.
Jagannath Panda, Springs of Sublime, 2013, mixed media
It is a subtle idea of transformation of culture and human aspersion. The works build with several layers of metaphors and narratives. It awakes a residue of an imagining the tranquil view of nature/ culture and history/ economy of Mumbai/ India. Exhibited at the Mumbai airport, it denotes the flight people are taking to different destinations and is a metaphor for breaking away.
Reena Kallat, Saline Notations, 2014, digital prints on Hahnemuhle Photorag archival paper
As the texts in salt get washed over and disappear, leaving residual marks and impressions, we might think of these afterlives and effects of experiences. Freedom to me not only means independence of thought and expression but to have the possibility to exercise choice; to celebrate difference by freeing ourselves of mental barriers or biases and recognising our interdependence.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Jiten Thukral and Sumir Tagra, Dominus aeries, 2014, oil on canvas
Freedom means to think as large as possible. One can do that if one is free from all pressures, of family, friends and work. In India, architecture grows with family, one builds floors for children, unlike in the West. The canvas is about dreams. Freedom is a state of mind. We are lucky that we are living our dream
Shilpa Gupta, 100 hand-drawn maps of my Country, 2008-ongoing, carbon tracings on paper
I asked 100 ordinary people to draw the map-logo of India by memory. The hundred maps did not match. The work is about the different ways the idea of a nation is imagined by those who live there. The project sought to rethink relations of power inherent in cartography; to take it away from institutional forces and use it for reconsidering existing boundaries.
As told to Vandana Kalra