Nothing breaks the monotony of steady-pace running like wallowing in waist-deep mud pits and crawling under barbed wires. But adventure races are more than just that. “The community aspect of the race is what keeps you coming back,” says Ajay Gupta, organiser of the X-Warrior race in India. “It’s a group of like-minded people spending a day helping each other out,” he adds. Before you take the plunge into what seems to be one of the most challenging races in India, know what you’re getting yourself into.
Originally a foreign import, adventure racing is a little more than a year old in India. A typical race involves crawling in mud, jumping over fire, wallowing in waist-high mud pits, performing squats, pushups during the race, running up and down the stairs multiple times among others.
Event organisers such as Gameon India, Sports 365 and Happy Feet Entertainment organise their own versions of ‘mud’ and ‘urban’ obstacle races that mimic real-life military training. Devil’s Circuit, organised by Gameon India, is a 5-km muddy obstacle race whereas the X-Warrior, organised by Sports 365, is an urban obstacle race. The only difference between an urban and a muddy race is the terrain.
Urban races usually take place inside stadiums, while mud courses pan out on open fields. These races are designed to test your functional fitness and not just your running or weight-lifting skills. You will need a strong, resilient body to sprint, climb, crawl, carry and push your way through the race.
We took part in X-Warrior race and here’s what an obstacle race looks and feels like:
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016