Tenzin Gyatso Gyatso, who celebrates his 81st birthday Wednesday, is the 14th and current Dalai Lama. Dalai Lamas are monks of the Gelug school, a new order of Tibetan Buddhism.
The Dalai Lama was born in Taktser village, Amdo in Tibet and was selected as the ‘tulku’ of the 13th Dalai Lama in 1937. He was formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama near the town of Bumchen in 1939.
- Tibet can exist with China like ‘European Union’: Dalai Lama
- Dalai Lama to skip Indian Science Congress
- Dalai Lama events in Delhi cancelled, Tibetans shift ‘Thank You India’ function to Dharamsala
- Govt sends out note: Very sensitive time for ties with China, so skip Dalai Lama events
- Dalai Lama suggests inclusion of ancient Indian knowledge as academic subject
- Raja Mandala: The odd triangle
At a ceremony held in Lhasa on February 22, 1940, Gyatso became the Dalai Lama. He also received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989. As the Tibetan leader turns 81, we bring you 10 of his most inspiring quotes.
- “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”
- “World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion.”
- “The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, and forgiveness.”
- “The creatures that inhabit this earth-be they human beings or animals-are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world.”
- “The more you are motivated by Love, The more Fearless and Free your action will be.”
- “Human potential is the same for all. Your feeling, “I am of no value”, is wrong. Absolutely wrong. You are deceiving yourself. We all have the power of thought – so what are you lacking? If you have willpower, then you can change anything. It is usually said that you are your own master.”
- “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”
- “If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry.”
- “Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality”
- “Time passes unhindered. When we make mistakes, we cannot turn the clock back and try again. All we can do is use the present well.”