Obese children might suffer more serious elbow injuries when they fall and have greater complications after surgery than normal kids, a new study claims.
Obese children who experience a common above-the-elbow fracture (called a supracondylar humeral fracture) are at greater risk of bone, joint and nerve damage that sets them up for long-term health problems, the study found.
“Something as simple and common as falling onto an outstretched hand while playing at the playground can have far greater health consequences for children who are diagnosed as obese,” said senior author Michelle S Caird, assistant professor in the department of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Michigan Medical School.
The reasons are still unclear, but some studies have suggested that high-fat diets may interfere with the absorption of calcium in the intestines, making bones more fragile.
“It’s important that children get the proper amount of exercise in order to strengthen their bones early in life,”said Caird.
The study is believed to be among the first to assess theimplications of obesity on this type of fracture, researchers said. Similar studies have shown that overweight children who break their femur (or thigh bone) are more likely to need bigger surgery and have more complications than children who are not overweight, they said. The findings appear in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More