My Forgotten Teacher: Thank You Papa, for teaching me life

No doubt they taught me A B C D and 1 2 3 4, but the real arithmetic and poetry of life has been taught by someone else.

Written by Zehra Shafi | New Delhi | Updated: October 18, 2014 12:41 am
father-main My papa may not have given me all the luxuries of life but he definitely has motivated me to achieve them. (Source: Thinkstock Images)

It’s teachers’ day and my friends in the newsroom are busy recalling that one special teacher who they think changed their life in one way or the other. While some are discussing the looks, others are busy in posting their feelings on Twitter and Facebook. It looks like everyone has gone into flashback mode.

I am sitting at my desk, sifting my memory box to remember one such name but alas! Don’t I even have one teacher in my life who has ever inspired me, I am thinking. And the answer that comes from my heart is an emphatic NO.

People may not like me for this or may think that I am a bit weird but yes, no teacher in my school or college has made an impression on my mind in these twenty four years. I remember them only for their scoldings and their thick sticks.

He is silence. He is strength. He is enlightenment. He gives, and knows only to give. He is my saviour and I take refuge in him.

He is no professor and does not hold any degrees but he is the best teacher I have ever known.

He taught me almost everything that is required to live a better life.

He is my father!!

I am the third child (daughter) of my parents. And when I was born, not everyone in the family was much happy. My mother says she too was slightly sad because she was not blessed with a son. But the only person to jubilate was my Papa.

Life wanted to bless me and that’s why he gave me a father like him. The ultimate gift of God to me.

My papa may not have given me all the luxuries of life but he definitely has motivated me to achieve them. He has given me the freedom to choose things for my life.

The memories of 1990 (when the turmoil in Kashmir was at its peak) are still fresh – Gun battles and tear gas smoke everywhere and a man stepping out of his home to find milk for his children. Everyday my father used to travel miles to get food for his family. He would risk his life but he wasn’t worried about it because he was a father.

Courage, truthfulness, intrepidity, wisdom, generosity, love, good manners and the will to challenge life everyday. All are the gifts from my papa. Yet he is a forgotten teacher!!

I don’t know if I can ever teach anyone in my life but I would like to thank my Papa for teaching me and I wish him a happy teachers’ day…

E-mail author at Kaneez.Zehra@expressindia.com

Follow on Twitter: @Zehra_Shafi

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: September 5, 2014 10:12 am
    Sairam Kannaian
    Sep 6, 2014 at 9:30 am
    It brings tears in my eyes as I remember my childhood. Good old days. nothing can bring such golden times ever in life. No matter how silly the questions appear he had patience to smile and answer in a way with analogy that every one of us can understand. Every Sunday it was a religious ritual to spend couple of hours of relaxed stroll and go through everything from school subject to cold war. IE, you are great for this article and sabhash to Author.
    1. B
      Brijkhanna
      Sep 7, 2014 at 3:07 pm
      To me After demise of Mom when I was 13 yr old Thank God my g parentsnot only brought me up well till I joined College. Mt Gpa was my tutor and groomed me to learn Urdu and encouraged me to compose short poems. So to me Dad is a big sacrifice r who did not go second marriage though he was in forties. Lucky I hsd both Gfather and Dad as tutor and guide. I am at Duke University Durham after that I am going join my Dad. I am great commentator on present day Indian politics. Thanks.
        pratikshya
        Sep 7, 2014 at 5:36 am
        Thanks for this beautiful article...It really made me emotional.Thank you.Stay blessed..
          SADHU-VEDANT-MUNI
          Sep 5, 2014 at 3:31 pm
          my father ,he was not only my father but a good friend, inspire,motivator, good ociate and best teacher. he faced very critical life due to his brother's disputes, but he was courageous, honest, religious, and knowledgeable person. he pe his entrance from CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY in 1932 and taken part in national movement and imprisoned 6 months as a freedom fighter.he was M N ROYIST and known as Communist/dada and in 1940 he was well known about Jainism in English so became ardent lover of Jainism and he adopted principles of Jainism . he taught me ethics, moral values, courage,discipline and bravery. he encouraged me to be a good human. when i entered in state govt service in 1975 he has written letter to me that first do not steal the medicines of govt hospital/dispensary second to maintain your character and third serve and dutiful to your religion and apply in your light. his teachings were testament of my life. i pay respect to him and after that my all teachers those taught me so i am able to serve for nation, society and family.
            DR RAMANUJA
            Sep 6, 2014 at 7:29 am
            Thank you for a beautiful article .God be with you my dear daughter.
              Kumareshan Natarajan
              Sep 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm
              Really Touching !!! Made me feel proud about my father
                Kurian Kottackakam
                Sep 5, 2014 at 1:50 pm
                Father, the great teacher,emulate this father who would be model teacher to all other fathers
                1. N
                  nadeem
                  Oct 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm
                  After reading this what i can say only is "kids never remain kids" but for papa you will always remain a kid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Ravi
                    Sep 6, 2014 at 12:32 am
                    Beautiful article! Thanks for writing such a good article!
                      Kochalil
                      Sep 5, 2014 at 9:48 am
                      Really touching.. I can't control my tears..
                      1. C
                        Chandra
                        Sep 6, 2014 at 5:26 am
                        I fully agree with Zehra. Emotional topic brings to my life............
                          slv
                          Sep 5, 2014 at 10:16 am
                          Excellent Article. Made me realize other teachers in our lives, our parents and our roles as teachers to our children. Thanks
                            sb
                            Sep 5, 2014 at 10:42 am
                            beautiful and very touching
                              Shoeb
                              Sep 5, 2014 at 11:34 am
                              Hmmm.. Being a father of two fairy i can understand the Feeling of your father, becoming father is a blessing and becoming father of girl child is something out of this world. I always thank Allah for his blessings. Love you for your article.. Touched... Take care and stay blessed.
                                S
                                Sep 6, 2014 at 1:20 am
                                A good and out of the box thinking
                                  Srinivasan Pattoo
                                  Sep 7, 2014 at 2:24 am
                                  No better tribute to a father can be paid! Truly, a father is a silent teacher - by example and by the sacrifices he makes a child a successful human being.Mother showers unlimited affection and satisfies emotional needs. A father provides discipline, education and a successful professional life. Salutations to my dad, who sacrificed so much to make me what I am today!
                                    ss
                                    Sep 5, 2014 at 9:45 am
                                    Super with tears in eyes.....
                                    1. V
                                      Vaishali Grewal
                                      Sep 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm
                                      True! FATHERS are the Best TEACHERS...