World Hepatitis Day 2017: Hepatitis B can cause infertility in males

HBV impacts spermatogenesis negatively in males. This causes a reduction in the sperm count, free testosterone levels, motility, viability, and morphology which further impacts overall fertility and ability to produce an offspring in them.

By: Lifestyle Desk | New Delhi | Updated: July 28, 2017 3:27 pm
Hepatitis B, World Hepatitis Day, World Hepatitis Day 2017 Hepatitis B is associated with impaired fertility. (Source: Thinkstock Images)

According to WHO, approximately 325 million people worldwide are living with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) or hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. As per their latest assessment, in India, around 40 million people are chronically infected with HBV and 6 to 12 million are suffering from HCV.

The ‘WHO Global hepatitis report, 2017’ indicates that a large majority of these people lack access to life-saving testing and treatment. As a result, millions face risk of chronic liver disease, cancer, and death. What the general public is not aware of is that HBV is also one of the reasons behind infertility in males.

Hepatitis B virus’ ’S’ protein is known to lower sperm motility and reduce the fertilisation rate by more than half. Studies indicate that those with HBV are 1.59 times more likely to experience infertility than individuals who are not infected.

According to Dr Hrishikesh D Pai, director IVF & Infertility, Fortis La Femme Hospital, Delhi and secretary general of the Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecological Societies of India, “Hepatitis does not have any effect on the normal functioning of the ovarian or uterine glands. However, this virus impacts spermatogenesis negatively in males. This causes a reduction in the sperm count, free testosterone levels, motility, viability, and morphology which further impacts overall fertility and ability to produce an offspring in them. On World Hepatitis Day, the need of the hour is to offer testing for HBsAg and HCV in infertile couples. This would help them get some clarity on the fertility therapy they should choose and reduce any potential risk of transmission to an uninfected partner or baby.”

Under such circumstances, it is important to counsel couples who have been tested positive for hepatitis and are seeking fertility treatments. This would in turn enable them to understand the transmission risk of the disease.

“Transmission risk from mother to baby increases by 80-90 per cent in HBV cases and 11 per cent in HCV positive cases, where there is high viral load. Some ways to reduce this risk include semen washing, administering the uninfected partner with HBV vaccination, and treatment with Interferon and Ribavirin. Many couples would have doubts, fears, and misconceptions in their mind about this condition,” says Dr Nandita Palshetkar, director, IVF and Infertility, Fortis Bloom IVF Center, La Femme and Fortis Hospital Gurgaon.

On World Hepatitis Day, it is important to encourage couples to come out and talk about these fears and apprehensions through support and peer groups as in the West.

People affected by Hepatitis
According to WHO, viral hepatitis has been responsible for an estimated 1.4 million deaths. The ‘Global Health Sector Strategy on Viral Hepatitis report (2016-2021)’ stated that out of the 1.4 million deaths, approximately 48 per cent of the patients suffer from hepatitis C virus, 47 per cent from hepatitis B virus, and the remaining from hepatitis A and hepatitis E viruses.

Commenting on the same, Dr B R Das, mentor, Molecular Pathology, SRL Diagnostics says, “Hepatitis has largely been ignored as a health and development priority. With time, there has been huge influx of people into urban areas of India and significant changes in lifestyle of the urban population. For HEV and HAV infections hygiene and sanitation practices play major roles, while for HBV and HCV, lifestyle and awareness are very important.”

For all the latest Lifestyle News, download Indian Express App

1. Susan Micheal
    Jan 16, 2018 at 2:07 am
    It’s obvious some patient with HIV/CANCER are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2012 until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Hepa is b after using Dr Ajayi Herbal Medicine. This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from Hepa is b. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about this. Please fill free to share Your problems with him and don’t forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on mail drajayiherbalhome or Ajayiherbalhome hotmail or whatsapp him on 2349054914348
    (0)(0)
    1. marian cooker
      Oct 25, 2017 at 11:08 am
      I am from New York City. I was suffering from HIV and HEPA IS B for over 4 years, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to her dr called Dr uwenbo, she said the dr has cure that cures HIV and HEPA IS B also said the dr has helped some of her friends with HERPES, CANCER, DIABITIES, BV, UTI, ALS etc, i never believed her but after a lot of talk i decided to contact him. just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent to me a herbal medicine with prescription on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative. I am proud to tell you that i am the most happiest person on earth.Big thanks to Dr Uwenbo cure. i pray you find solution in him just i did. For more information on how to get cured contact him on his active email: dr.uwenboherbalhome , or call/WhatsApp him on 2349052309005..
      (0)(0)
        permela
        Oct 23, 2017 at 1:53 am
        My Name is permela i am a 45years old lady, i am from Ethiopia , but living in United State, My Hepa is B (HBV) disease appeared at the age of 38, with no hope of a cure from the hospitals i have went to, i thought my life have come to an end, until a friend of mine told me about Dr ,Ariba who treats all manners of diseases including Hepa is B disease, I contacted them him via his email: draribaherlcure , and purchased the HBV medicine. I received the medicine through DHL couriers and i immediately commenced usage as prescribed, i used the medicine witting the few days i was instructed i became negative of (HBV), all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appe e, was no more, I am HBV free, contact him for your cure email (draribaherbalcure )
        (0)(0)
        1. danscott
          Jul 29, 2017 at 2:20 pm
          I FOUND YOUR INTEREST IN JOB SITE I am Mr. Franklin Moses, HR to ICELAND SUPERMARKET, UK. We are searching for new people to join our team.(ICELAND SUPERMARKET, UK.) EXPERIENCE: 2-7 YEARS... Female and male are welcome...send your CV/RESUME for the position of the following: 1. SUPERVISOR 2. STORE KEEPER 3. SECURITY 4. RETAIL STORE MANAGER 5. STORE INCHARGE 6. PLUMBER Indicate the post interested in Job Location: UNITED KINGDOM Send your latest resume for further process... frankhenry.001 interested candidiate may summit he/her CV for more information.
          (0)(0)